Chapter-45

Lauren Hart

A day passed but I was still being treated as a patient in ICU bed. I wasn't allowed to move my hand even a bit and it honestly irritated me but I couldn't even protest since Sean had put Ryan on my duty-to keep an eye on me.

Grandma could have protected me from this torture but she already went back home. Basically, she was forced to go back. Sean forced her to go back so she could rest properly since she had been exerting herself too much while looking after me. But grandma's not new to the world; she knew that Sean wanted to spend alone time with me, so she left not before warning us not to do things when Ryan's around.

I cursed Sean for putting me in such an embarrassing situation. I mean couldn't he control himself for a while?

I was sitting in the living room with Ryan, feeding him apple slices with my left hand since it was moveable. What I didn't know was that I got so lost in my thoughts that I had been looking into the void for a long because when my eyes landed on Ryan, I found him staring at me lovingly with his face between his palms.

I laughed as I tilted my head. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You are beautiful." He muttered admiringly which stunned me all of a sudden.

"Am I now?" I laughed. I placed the plate on the table and mimicked him by cupping my face and looked at him adoringly. "What makes you say this?"

"Grandma says that people that care for you are beautiful. And you care for me." His lips curled into a gentle smile and mine too. He's a listener and he understands the meaning of what's being said to him. He's way smarter than his age.

"You are beautiful too; you have been taking care of my injured self too well." I praised him as well. "And have complimented your father? He takes care of you as well." I asked.

His eyebrows curled into a frown and he pouted. "No." He muttered in a dejected tone, looking hurt.

"It's okay, buddy, you can compliment him now." I cheered him. He smiled and nodded his head.

"And you know what my teacher says?" He continued. "She says that mothers are the most caring being in the world." He sat straight and tapped his index finger on his chin, giving the impression that he was thinking something. "I think you and dad should meet my teacher because you are not my mother still you care for me and dad is also not my mother because he is my father and he cares for me as well. You should correct her."

I was rendered speechless. What could have urged this five years old to dive into such a deep matter when all he must be doing is playing games and do stuff that kids do? Of course, the absence of a mother in his life was the reason. How lonely must he have felt when his teacher spoke about such a critical topic. There's no doubt that he missed his mother. He needed someone in his life who could fill the space of a mother.

And thinking about 'his mother' gave me chills. I mean, his mother would be Sean's wife so...

"But if my teacher is right...I wish to have a mother like you."

And my breath hitched and my heart skipped a beat- just like that. My eyes forgot how to blink. I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn't form words. Ryan said he wanted a mother LIKE ME. It was the most heartwarming moment. I mean I never imagined myself as a mother but I would never think twice to say yes if I were asked to become his mother.

And honestly, I didn't want to lose Sean to any other woman. I would never. But was Sean ready? Wouldn't it be too soon to talk to him about this? Would I be forcing myself onto him if?