𝒊𝒊. genuine

𝒓𝒚𝒂𝒏'𝒔 𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘

    MY MOUTH BECAME DRY and my mind went completely blank

    MY MOUTH BECAME DRY and my mind went completely blank. He waited for an answer, which I could not give him. I had no idea what to say. That was simply one of the best compliments I've ever received. It felt genuine.

"I'm sorry if that was wron-" I cut him off.

"No! You're okay, You're okay." I slightly laughed. "It was perfect."

He grinned.

Most of the time whenever I receive compliments, I usually don't believe them or think they're fibbing. Except this time. It felt real, genuine. It felt as if he actually truly meant it. Also, it's not that I'm expecting them or anything. The only compliments I get are from my family, or random grown men who think it's fine to hit on underage girls here at the farm. Definitely not from teenage boys.

And as you can tell, my flirting skills aren't the greatest.

"Thank you," I finally said and gulped. "Thank you."

The boy was smiling from ear to ear, and began to laugh a little. "Of course."  Awkwardly, I cleared my throat and looked down slightly.

It took a while for me to realize, he was pretty. Like pretty pretty. He was wearing a white, button down, long-sleeve shirt. But, he left a few top buttons opened. A silver chain was wrapped around his neck. It was just enough for a girl to swoon over.

"I can tell you're ready to get out of here," The boy gushed, making me laugh a little. I shook my head. "Definitely, but we don't close for another hour and a half."

"Ah." I leaned against the marble counter. "You like working here?"

Making conversation. I like it.

"Well, my family owns this place so it's not like I have much of a choice, ya know?" I commented, walking towards the counter behind us. I heard a small laugh. Opening the soda fridge, I grabbed a Dr. Pepper soda can. "That sounds awesome."

I popped the soda open. "It can be," I advised. Pressing my lips against the metal can, I felt the cold drink go down my throat. I haven't had something to drink in hours, it was something I for-sure needed. He intertwined his fingers together and sat his hands onto the counter-top.

"I can ask where you're from?" He looked up.

The sky started growing darker and darker. The nightfall was right around the corner.

"Oh, of course. London." He added. I already figured. This accent is too unique for boring ole' California. I gave him a nod, "I love that."

I drank another sip of my Dr. Pepper and looked out the window behind him. The sun was setting and it had the most wonderful colors you could ever think of, all blended into one giant painting in the sky.

This whole situation was odd for me. I can't believe, me, Ryan Darr, is actually talking to a person of the opposite gender, without shaking in my boots. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely screaming on the inside. But, of course, I can't show my emotions out loud.

A quiet 'ding' rang from his phone. My eyes darted to him as his eyes lit up from the brightness on his screen. He frowned a bit.

"I must get going, I think." The brunette boy stammered. He placed his device into his back pocket. I felt myself get disappointed. I stood up straight. He stood up as well. "Oh, okay."

Placing his hands into his two front pockets, he gave me a small smile.

"Nice meeting you."

He started walking towards the front entrance, but suddenly stopped before placing his hand onto the handle.

"Hope you have a wonderful night."

My smile never left my face in these 30 or 20 minutes of meeting, really. My heart felt so full for no exact reason. His energy, him just being around, made me want to be around him 24/7.

I never learned his name, but I for-sure want to see him some time or soon.