The Upside Down Smile: Part 2

Nicki skipped a whole class, crying to herself in her empty homeroom.
Carol put her hand on her shoulder.
"Nicki please stop crying! Jessica's obvious lying. There's no such girl as Darla in this school, at least not one we've heard of"

"Yeah. Even if I'm new, I haven't seen Daniel with any girl since I met him." I said.

Nicki raised her head up wiping her tears with her face towel. She sniffed.
" B-but it was a week ago. And Daniel doesn't like hanging out with me. It's Darla's fault he never took me seriously!"

I sighed. " You know what Nicki?"

"Yeah?" She said swallowing her saliva. Her eyes were slightly red.

"Carol this break time, the football team is fulfilling thier punishment right?" I asked.

"Yeah because they were late to practice yesterday" She answered.

" Good. Nicki, we will got to field to watch them. We're gonna watch out for any unfamiliar girl who comes up to talk to Daniel. If there is, we go and talk to her. "

Nicki smiled a little bit. " Really, you'll do that for me? "

" No, we" I grabbed Carol's hand, " will do it for you. We're your friends. Seeing your happiness disappear is something I don't like to see."

" Yeah all this highschool dating makes me sick, but anything for you Nicki" Carol said smirking.

"Aww you guys!" She hugged both of us so tightly.  She started crying all over again, both happily now.
One class had been missed, no take backs now. We agreed on our plan and decided to focus on classes till break time, where the school's footballers, who would be exchanging their break for practice on the field, would play.
Nicki was determined to find out the truth.
I knew Jessica's words weren't true
Those two are too adorable to do it.

•••••••••••••

Thursday 12:00pm
Everyone was eating lunch at the cafeteria while Carol, Nicki and I went to the huge field.
Daniel caught sight of us and waved with a huge smile. We smiled back except for Nicki who simply looked at the other side.
He was hurt when he slowly put his hand down, as if he was regretting ever greeting us.
The wicked gym teacher hit him on the back with a wet towel- which I'm sure was drained with sweat, to get him jogging with the others, round the field.

We sat on the benches watching closely at them. We watched and watched. I noticed that Jay was among them. I waved at him, he waved back.
I slumped on the chair, still keeping my eyes on Daniel.
Nicki never let her eyes slip away.

••••••••••••••

Thursday 12:30pm
C

arol had gotten hungry and left for a short time to get us snacks from the cafeteria.

Thursday 12:40pm
I put a biscuit in my mouth and washed it down with a sip of my juice.
The girl's football team came later, at least half of them, along with the assistant gym teacher. The assistant gym teacher talked with the main gym teacher.
5 of them all, the girls football team joined the boys in the punishment.
We sat at the edges of our seats, watching for the 'Darla' but no girl talked with the boys.
Except after the punishment.
A girl talked with Daniel but the conversation was as short and friendly as ever. They got to crunches.
Nicki was relieved.

••••••••••••••

Thursday 12:49
Everyone was dispersing. Daniel and Jay stood being in a deep conversation.
"See Nicki, no Darla or any other girl. I told you" Carol said rolling her eyes.

"I want to talk to him." Nicki said determined as she stood up from the bench.
We walked towards them and as I approached I noticed that the boys looked serious; serious enough for Daniel to have a frown.
"Hey guys, sorry to interrupt!" I said interrupting thier conversation.

"No worries Holly." Jay said. He looked down at Nicki and was shocked.
"Oh, Nicki you're back! Daniel never told me!" He said. He hugged her.

"Aww thanks Jay."  She stopped hugging  "Oh! And you smell like sweat and soil" Nicki said politely.

Jay laughed nervously. "Appreciate the honesty"

It got quiet between us all. And Jay quickly said, "Well I gotta go get something from my car. I'll see u guys later"
He left.

Daniel spared Nicki a look.
I felt wierd.
"Hey" Daniel said, specifically to Nicki.

Nicki huffed and looked away trying to be angry but the blush said otherwise. Her shiny brown hair bounced greatly.
Now I felt really wierd.
"Okayyyy... Daniel, Nicki here wants to talk to you privately considering Darla" I said stopping the flow of awkward silence.

Daniel stopped smiling at Nicki's cute face and had a raised eyebrow in confusion at me. "Darla? Who's Darla?"

"Exactly!" I pushed Nicki closer to Daniel and quickly grabbed Carol's hand and walked away.

Darla, has been squashed... even if she is not real. Take that non-existent Darla!
HA!

Words: 850
I don't have anything to say but thanks for reading and please vote and comment!