Chapter 60

"I'm so excited." I told mum, as we were driving to Little Angels. Today was the day I would get to do my first ever handlers' session with Teddy. I'd explained to everyone last night the process of getting him, and pretty much everything I knew. I also told them about my love for the name and the story I'd put behind it. Although they pretty much had no idea what I was talking about, I enjoyed my ramble anyway. Everyone in my family was allowed to play with him, but they also had to recognise when he was working and not distract him, like if I was having a panic attack. For the first while, they have to keep their distance so that Teddy knows he's there to look after me, as the handler. I thought that was common sense, but it was important information from Little Angels. Other people weren't supposed to pet him, especially when I'm at school, which is a public place, and when I'm just out and about. That was what the vest was for. Even though service dogs don't actually have to wear the vests, it helps people to know that they're working and stop any arguments or misunderstandings in public places.

"I'm glad, honey." Mum smiled fondly. There wasn't too much we needed to buy for Teddy. We bought a bed, which was grey, matching the colour scheme of my room, which is where it would stay. We also bought a blue collar and lead, as well as his own food and water bowls. The rest of the stuff we needed we already had from Abi. Dad was going to pick up everything on his way home from work today.

We arrived and Teddy was brought out to greet me. He was excited but focussed at the same time.

He was a gorgeous brown with soft, short fur. He was about half the size of Abi, who was a similar breed and fully grown.

"Hi Teddy." I smiled, patting him gently.

We spent the next hour practicing commands and getting both Teddy and I used to working with each other. Mum stood close by but let me and the trainer do most of it.

"You'll need to do this training with him for fourteen days before you can take him home." The trainer told him. "You've already made a connection, I can see. Not everyone makes a connection with their dog so quickly." She smiled.

Once our session was up, mum and I went home. I gushed the entire way about how good of a dog he was and how lucky I felt. By the time we got home, I was lost for words.

For the rest of the afternoon, I relaxed and didn't do much. Mum made sausage rolls for lunch, which I'd never had before. She said they technically weren't sausage rolls, because the filling was purely vegetables, but she still called them that anyway. They were surprisingly delicious, and I ate about 5 mini ones, leaving me so full afterwards.

I spoke to Morgan on the phone later, telling her all about Teddy and the story. She said one day she'd have to fly over to visit me, and then we started planning this elaborate trip. She also challenged me to a super round of monopoly deal, and we'd decide once and for all who was the better player.

I was still talking to her a few hours later, when the boys arrived home, all at once today. They usually arrived staggered, but this time they all suddenly appeared.

"I've got to go. My brothers are home." I told her.

"Who are you talking to?" Austin asked, peering over my shoulder.

"A friend from the hospital."

"Who's that?" Morgan asked, still on the phone.

"My brother Austin."

"You're twin right!?" She exclaimed. I moved the camera slightly so she could see him. "Oh he's hot." She blurted out, before covering her mouth.

"Hey." Austin laughed, walking off.

I said bye to her and found Austin in the kitchen. He'd found the vegetarian sausage rolls, just like Mum had said he would. They were one of his favourites apparently.

"I like your friend." He smirked.

"Who's friend?" River asked, also appearing in search of food.

"Ash's friend called me hot."

"I'd love to hear what she thought of me then. I'm 10 times better looking than you, scrawny soccer player." He took a good look at Austin, acting disgusted.

"Well she's like seven hours away and you're not allowed to date her." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Why's that?" He smirked.

"Because I said so." The amount of times that line had been used on me already was astonishing.

"Well then I say you can't date Sean." Austin replied.

"Sean?" I repeated. He nodded. "I wasn't going to anyway."

"Promise?"

"No." I huffed

"So you do want to date him! Oh he's going to love this." Austin raced out of the room, heading upstairs.

"Austin!" I screeched, racing after him. "I never said that!"

When I finally caught up to him, he was on his bed, waiting for Sean to pick up the phone.

"No!" I yelled, lunging for the phone. Austin lifted and arm effortlessly to block me. I continued to protest until the phone call went to a lady telling him to leave a message.

"Damn voicemail." Austin mumbled.

"I do not want to date him!" I growled.

"Who are you dating?" Ryan asked. I turned around to see him, River, Nick and Jonah all standing there watching me.

"She wants to date Sean!"

"NO I DON'T!" I yelled at him, grabbing a pillow and whacking him with it. A pillow wouldn't hurt. I knew that, but even then, I didn't really like the idea of hitting someone, with anything at all.

"Oh you wanna play it like that. I see." He eyed me, smirking. He grabbed a pillow and slammed it into my side, nearly sending me flying off the bed.

"Pillow fight!" River yelled, joining in. Before long, everyone was working together, slamming each other with pillows.

I finish middle school in a week and I'm very excited for the summer holidays!

Vote
Comment
Follow @sydnie6624