Chapter 28

"So, you're saying I have a sister?" Jonah spoke first.

"Yes. All of you do." Said Chris.

"And we weren't told why?"

"Because there is more to the story. Ashlyn was pronounced dead and there was a funeral." Chris said, eyeing Nick who seemed to be quite agitated.

"When I told him that I was pregnant and I was having twins, he left the house. Not a single word to me, but just stood up and left. I thought he'd be happy. He came back a day later, clearly intoxicated, and packed all his stuff before leaving again. I didn't hear from him the entire time I was pregnant. I was a single mother of a 1 year old and was pregnant with twins. That's why Elyse and I are so close and she's always nearby, because she was the one by my side throughout that time.

"I didn't hear from him until a few weeks after you and Austin turned one. He knocked on the door, and not thinking it was him, I answered. He demanded to see his kids, and was already angry, so I let him in. I didn't let my guard down the entire time, until he left. We had been inside all day, so I took the three of them to the park a little while afterwards. Ashlyn and Austin were on the little slides, and then Austin ran off to the swing. I raced after him, not wanting him to go on the road, and when I turned around, you were gone. I searched for hours. Elyse looked after Ryan and Austin whilst I searched everywhere for you. I was a mess of tears by the time I went to the police station two hours after you were gone.

"The investigation lasted for four years, before the police announced that you couldn't be found, and they didn't have the resources to keep looking into my case. Many of the investigators and officers told me that it would be a miracle if you were ever found alive, so we held a funeral, in spite of knowing if you were alive or not. Ryan was about 7 at the time and Austin was nearly 5, since it was in September. I cried so hard that day. I didn't sleep properly for weeks. We moved 6 hours from where we lived so that I felt safer, instead of being in complete fear that my boys would be taken from me. Before we moved, I refused to send them anywhere. Not to school, not to the park. Nowhere, unless I had at least two other adults with me. When my health started to drop, from not eating or sleeping well, Elyse moved in with me. She looked after Ryan and Austin whilst she sent me to support group, which is where I met Chris. You all know how everything has been since then." Laura stopped talking and the room remained silent.

"I...I just don't get it." Austin huffed, his head in his hands. "How did they not find her!" He yelled in anger. I tried my best not to flinch but couldn't help it. Ryan steadied me from behind, always staying close.

"Austin. Not so loud, okay. Everyone's confused." Chris said to him.

"You're really here huh?" He said to me. Not knowing what to say, I just nodded. "I can't." He shook his head, getting up and walking off. Laura looked as if she was going to break any second now, as Ryan angrily stormed upstairs after him.

"You're 15, right?" Nick asked, bringing my attention away from Ryan and Austin. I looked to Chris for confirmation, then nodded.

"They're twins. That means they're the same age." River said, rolling his eyes and winking at me.

"Well do you speak?" Nick said, looking me up and down. He didn't seem to like me very much.

"Nick. Stop being so rude." Chris said, in a deep voice.

"Yeah, I talk." I said quietly.

"Woah. You even sound like Austin." Jonah laughed.

"Once again, they're twins. Do I really need to keep stating the obvious?" River said. He seemed to be the most relaxed here.

"I'm going to go and start making dinner." Laura said quietly, standing up and leaving to go to the kitchen.

"Why doesn't everyone go and do their own thing for a little bit?" Chris suggested. The three remaining boys got up and left, Nick completely ignoring me, whilst I just stood there. River came back into the room after noticing I didn't follow anyone out.

"Would you like to come with me?" He smiled. He was friendly and seemed kind, so I nodded and followed him. We went upstairs, where I could hear the muffled yelling of Austin and Ryan. I felt so guilty but had no idea what I could do to make it better, other than just disappearing altogether.

We went into Rivers room, where he passed me a cushion and told me to sit on the floor. There was a shelf next to us, filled with games, movies, a few books and some other stuff that I didn't know what it was.

"Do you know how to play any of these games?" He asked, letting me look. I couldn't see any I knew, which wasn't surprising since I only knew how to play Monopoly Deal from learning at the hospital. I was about to tell him I didn't know any of them, until my eyes landed on that precious plastic red box.

"I know this one." I pointed.

"Perfect. I haven't played this in ages."

"I played it at the hospital." I gave a small smile, letting him know it was okay. His smile faltered a tiny bit, but it went back to normal as soon as he started to deal out the cards. I won the first few rounds, then he won once, until I went back to a winning streak.

"How do you keep making me lose?" He groaned in frustration. I giggled but said nothing.

"Dinner's ready!" Laura called from downstairs.

"I guess I'm going to have to challenge you to another round tomorrow. I'll study some more just so that I can win!" He laughed.

"Deal." I nodded, smiling too. This time, it felt natural.