Chapter 6

As I was told, Sarah came back to visit the following afternoon, smiling and seemingly quite content with herself.

"Hi." I said, beating her to it. Her grin only widened before she replied to me.

"Hey Ashlyn." She beamed. I had never seen a police officer so happy before. They were usually so serious. "I have news. Very good news."

"Okay." I nodded, giving a tiny smile. I hoped we considered the same answers good news.

"I have found who your mother is, and I've spoken to her on the phone."

"Really?" I gaped, visibly shocked. I thought she may have found a distant relative, probably on my father's side, but this was completely different. "Does she remember me?"

"Yes, she does." Sarah looked at me sympathetically. "She was very emotional, as I would expect, and was extremely shocked to know you were alive."

"What?" I looked at her confusedly.

"She told me that there was an ongoing police investigation which ran for multiple years, but since they never found you, the police informed your mum that it was most likely you wouldn't be found alive. That, unfortunately, is the case with most missing children. She kept the search going as long as she could but, as you can put together yourself, was unsuccessful."

I took a moment, and a deep breath, whilst I tried to process everything she was saying. I couldn't believe that I had a mother out there, who had searched for me for years, not knowing if I was even alive. I was shocked, to say the least.

"Does she still want me?"

"One hundred percent. I just need to confirm her own DNA results match with yours and she'll be on the next flight here."

"Is that going to take another five days?"

"No, I managed to hurry it along for you. She could be here as early as tomorrow." Sarah smiled softly.

"Where does she live?" I asked, feeling like that was a sensible question.

"A seven-hour plane trip away." Sarah sighed, but I didn't care. There were further places she could have been, like being in another country.

"Does that mean I moved?" I asked, as soon as the thought struck me.

"Yes, she told me the whole story, but I would rather her repeat it to you, not me. I don't want to miss any details."

"Oh." I said. I still couldn't believe I really did have a mother, who searched for me.

"I will let nurse Charlotte know as soon as I have the exact times she's coming so that she can let you know and you can be prepared. I did promise your mum that I would ask if you wanted to call with her, but that's completely up to you and whether you're feeling up to it or not."

"I've never called anyone before."

"That's the easy part. Do you want to though?" I nodded eagerly, properly smiling at her for the first time as she pulled out her phone and dialled a number which she had written down on her little notepad.

It rang and rang, repeatedly making a noise I had never heard before, and since it was my first time, I was a little confused as to how it worked, so I didn't know what to expect.

"Hello?" A female voice answered.

"Hi Laura, it's Sarah from the Police Department." Laura. My mother's name is Laura.

"Hi Sarah, how are you?" She asked, with a slightly shaky voice. She didn't sound how I'd expected her to. Her voice was softer, gentler.

"I'm good, thank you. I have Ashlyn here with me now and was wondering if you are available to facetime?"

"My goodness. Yes, just one moment." She replied. She was quiet on the other end for a while before the screen changed on Sarah's phone. She hit the green circle button which had appeared at the bottom of the screen before Sarah shrunk into the top corner, and a female face appeared. Whilst Sarah and her had some quick small talk, I took in her appearance. I thought she was beautiful, with her golden hazel eyes that were similar to mine, and her thin, brown hair. She looked like a neater, nicer and older version of myself and I was stunned by it.

Sarah looked over to me and I nodded, before she angled the camera towards me so that Laura could see my face. Her hand flew up to cover her mouth as she gasped and started softly crying. "I'm so sorry." She sobbed. I didn't understand what she was sorry for, but she repeatedly apologised to me, just saying those three words over and over again.

"I promise I will bring you home." She choked out and I smiled slightly. There was something about her already, something that really made me want to trust her and like her. "I've booked a flight. I'm leaving tonight, and I'll be there tomorrow morning. I'm just waiting from the green light from Sarah." Laura said once she'd calmed down enough to be able to speak properly.

"Okay." I nodded, her smiled widened as she heard my voice for the first time. I sat there whilst her and Sarah talked more and just thought about everything. In less than twenty four hours, my actual mother, of whom I have no recollection of at all, could be coming to meet me. It was overwhelming, but I was also excited.

LAURA'S POV

Officer Sarah and I said our goodbyes before I sat down, feeling faint. Tears were slowly but steadily rolling down my cheeks as I took in everything that was going on. My baby girl was alive. Just as I wiped my tears, my husband walked into the room.

"What's wrong?" He gasped, embracing me quickly.

"I need to be there now. I have to go." I sobbed into his shoulder.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come? Nick can look after everyone here and..." I cut him off.

"She's in the trauma ward. I have to do a briefing before I'm allowed to see her and only one person can go in at a time. I think it's best if I just go."

"Are you really sure?" I nodded in response, wiping my eyes. "I'll drive you to the airport." He insisted, not leaving any room for debate. I gave him a smile and hug, before going to grab my suitcase to pack. I wasn't sure how long I'd be there for, so I packed a lot.