Hook Man [3]

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix left the Sheriff's Department, the redhead smirking.

Dean shook his head "I still don't understand how you managed to talk the sheriff down to a fine,"

"I told him you were dumbass pledges and that the fraternity you were pledging for was hazing you," Phoe explained.

"What about the shotgun?" Sam asked.

"I said you were saving me from ghosts and the spirits were repelled by rock salt. You know, typical Hell Week prank,"

"And he believed you?" Dean laughed.

"Well, I had a little help," Phoenix gave Dean a knowing look.

Sam looked aghast at the notion as Dean laughed and looked at his brother.

"You should have had more friends like her," Dean reasoned.

Sam rolled his eyes in exasperation and annoyance.

Dean's humourous smile turned to concern as they watched Phoe standing frozen, eyes watching the Sheriff's Department as several officers ran out of the building and sped away in police cars.

"Lori..." Phoenix whispered.

***

Sam, Dean, and Phoenix drove by Lori's sorority building.

Lori was wrapped in a blanket, sitting in the back of a parked ambulance.

Dean parked the Impala on another street.

The trio got out and walked around to the back of Lori's sorority.

"Why would the Hook Man come here?" Phoe wondered "This is a long way from 9 Mile Road,"

"Maybe he's not haunting the scene of his crime. Maybe it's something else,"

Two sorority girls came out the side entrance of the building, but they didn't see Sam, Dean, and Phoenix.

Sam, Dean, and Phoe leaned against the side of the house next to some bushes to hide.

"Dude," Dean mused "sorority girls! Think we'll see a naked pillow fight?"

Phoenix took the time to punch Dean in the gut causing him to hunch over. She climbed onto the balcony of the house, the boys following after.

Once they were up there, they snuck in Lori's swindow.

Dean fell on top of Sam by getting in the window "Oh, sorry!"

"Be quiet," Sam told him.

"You be quiet!"

"You be quiet!"

Phoe rolled her eyes at their squabble "I'm working with literal children," she opened the door slightly and saw another sheriff leaving the bedroom. Phoenix waited until the sheriff went downstairs and then opened the closet door.

Once in Lori's bedroom, Phoe saw the writing on the wall.

"Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light?" Phoenix read.

"That's right out of the legend," Sam noted.

"Yeah, that's classic Hook Man all right." Dean tapped his nose "It's a spirit,"

"Yeah, I've never smelled ozone this strong before," Phoe said as she crinkled her nose in distaste. She pointed to the cross symbol beneath the writing "Does that look familiar to you?"

***

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix stood next to the Impala. They were looking at a picture of the cross symbol that they found during their research.

"It's the same symbol." Sam confirmed "Seems like it is the spirit of Jacob Karns,"

"All right, let's find the dude's grave, salt and burn the bones, and put him down,"

"Not so fast Wonderboy." Phoe mused "After execution, Jacob Karns was laid to rest in an Old North Cemetery. In an unmarked grave."

Dean became annoyed "Super,"

"Ok. So we know it's Jacob Karns. But we still don't know where he'll manifest next. Or why," Sam said.

"I'll take a wild guess about why. I think Phoe's little friend Lori has something to do with this,"

Phoenix rolled her eyes "She's not my friend,"

***

Dean walked up to Sam and Phoenix at a college party.

"Hey," Sam greeted.

"Man, you've been holding out on me. This college thing is awesome!" Dean winked and smiled at a passing girl.

"This wasn't my experience,"

"Let me guess. Libraries, studying, straight A's?"

Sam nodded.

Dean turned to Phoe with an exasperated look.

Phoenix held up her hands in defense "Hey, I tried. I had to drag him to a few outings, but he only snuck back to the apartment so I gave up,"

"Alright, you do your homework?" Dean asked Phoe.

"Yeah. It was bugging me, right? So how is the Hook Man tied up with Lori? So I think I came up with something," Phoe unraveled a piece of paper "1932. Clergyman arrested for murder. 1967. Seminarian held in hippie rampage." she looked up at the boys "There's a pattern here. In both cases, the suspect was a man of religion who openly preached against immorality. And then found himself wanted for killings he claimed were the work of an invisible force. Killings carried out-get this-with a sharp instrument,"

"What's the connection to Lori?"

Phoenix rolled her eyes "A man of religion? Who openly preaches against immorality?"

Sam suddenly understood "Except maybe this time, instead of saving the whole town, he's just trying to save his only daughter,"

"Reverend Sorensen. You think he's summoning the spirit?" Dean wondered.

"Maybe." Phoe shrugged "Or, you know how a poltergeist can haunt a person instead of a place?"

"The, spirit latches onto the reverend's repressed emotions, feeds of them, yeah, okay,"

"Without the reverend ever even knowing it," Sam finished "you should keep an eye on Lori tonight,"

Phoenix nodded "What about you two?"

Dean looked at an attractive blonde smiling at him by the pool table.

"We're gonna go see if we can find that unmarked grave," Sam dragged Dean away.

Phoe looked at the blonde again and shook her head in amusement as she heard Dean yelling Sam.

***

Outside Reverand Sorensen's house, Phoenix watched Reverand Sorensen turned out the light and left the room.

Lorie came outside and sat down next to Phoe on a bench. "I saw you upstairs. What are you doing here?"

"I'm keeping an eye on the place," Phoenix admitted.

Lori looked at Phoe.

"I was worried,"

"About me?" Lori asked.

"Yeah. Sorry,"

"No, it's cool. I already called the cops." Lori smiled to show it was a joke.

Phoenix let out a small laugh.

"I think you're sweet. Which is probably why you should run away from me as fast as you can,"

Phoe's eyes knitted in confusion "Why would you say that?"

"It's like I'm cursed or something. People around me keep dying,"

Phoenix's gaze went down to her locket "I know how you feel,"