Phantom Traveler [2]

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix were in full research mode in the motel room, with images and articles taped to the walls and strewn across the beds, and Phoe was looking at something on the computer. Dean was reading something on one bed while Sam continued placing images and articles on the walls.

"So, every religion in every world culture has the concept of demons and demonic possession, right? I mean Christian, Native American, Hindu, you name it,"

"Yeah, but none of them describe anything like this," Dean said

"Well, that's not exactly true. You see according to Japanese beliefs, certain demons are behind certain disasters, both natural and man-made. One causes earthquakes, another causes disease,"

"And this one causes plane crashes?" Sam asked as he walked over to Phoe.

"All right, so, what? We have a demon that's evolved with the times and found a way to ratchet up the body count?" Dean asked

"Yeah. You know, who knows how many planes it's brought down before this one?" Phoenix said

Dean snorted.

"What?" Sam asked

"I don't know, man. This isn't our normal gig. I mean, demons, they don't want anything, just death, and destruction for its own sake. This is big. And I wish Dad was here,"

"Yeah. Me too,"

Dean's phone rang and he answered it. "Hello?"

"Dean, it's Jerry,"

"Oh, hey, Jerry,"

"My pilot friend...Chuck Lambert is dead,"

"Wha-Jerry, I'm sorry. What happened?"

"He and his buddy went up in a small twin about an hour ago. The plane went down,"

"Where'd this happen?"

"About sixty miles west of here, near Nazareth,"

"I'll try to ignore the irony in that,"

"I'm sorry?"

"Nothing. Jerry, hang in there, all right? We'll catch up with you soon," Dean hung up.

"Another crash?" Sam asked

"Yeah. Let's go,"

"Where?" Phoenix asked

"Nazareth,"

The answer caused Phoe to snort.

***

The Impala drove past a road sign reading 'Nazareth 3'. Black smoke was visible in the near distance. The trio entered Jerry's office where Jerry was looking through a microscope.

"Sulfur?" Phoenix asked. Jerry nodded. Phoe sighed "Well, that's great,"

"All right, that's two plane crashes involving Chuck Lambert. This demon sounds like it was after him," Dean said

"With all due respect to Chuck, if that's the case, that would be the good news," Sam said

Phoenix snorted as she crossed her arms "But that would just be too easy,"

Dean looked over at her "What's the bad news?"

"Chuck's plane went down exactly forty minutes into the flight. And get this, so did flight 2485,"

"Forty minutes? What does that mean?" Jerry asked

"It's biblical numerology. You know Noah's ark, it rained for forty days. The number means death,"