Faith [4]

"You think it's the grim reaper..." Sam voiced. "Like the angel of death, collect your soul, the whole deal?"

Phoenix shook her head "No, no, not the reaper...a reaper." she looked between the two boys. "There's reaper lore in every culture on Earth. They go by a hundred different names. There may be more than one."

"You said you saw a dude in a suit," Sam told Dean.

"You think he should've been working the black-robe thing?" Dean challenged. "You said it yourself that the clock stopped, right?" he showed Sam a page "Reapers stop time. You can only see them when they're coming at you, which is why I could see it and you couldn't,"

"Maybe,"

Phoenix rolled her eyes. "There's nothing else it could be,"

"The question is, how is Roy controlling the damn thing?" Dean voiced.

"The cross," Phoenix realized.

"What?"

"There was this cross. I noticed it in the church tent. I knew I had seen it before," Phoenix trifled through multiple tarot cards until she found what she was looking for. "Here,"

"A tarot?" Sam voiced.

"It makes sense. Tarot dates back to the early Christian era, when some priests were using magic and a few veered into the dark stuff...necromancy and how to push death away, how to cause it,"

"So Roy is using black magic to bind the reaper?" Dean reasoned.

"If he is, he's riding the whirlwind." Phoenix sighed. "It's like putting a dog leash on a great white,"

"Okay, then we stop Roy,"

"How?" Sam questioned.

"You know how,"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Phoenix asked. "We can't kill Roy,"

"The guy is playing God...deciding who lives and dies. That's a monster in my book,"

"No, we're not going to kill a human being, Dean. We do that, and we're not better than he is,"

"Okay, so we can't kill Roy; we can't kill death. Any bright ideas, college girl?"

"If Roy is using some kind of black spell on the reaper, we got to figure out what it is and how to break it,"

***

"If Roy is using a spell, there might be a spell book," Sam reasoned as the trio drove up to the church.

"See if you and Rose can find it. Hurry up, too. Service starts in 15 minutes," Dean ordered. "I'll try to stall Roy,"

"Roy Le Grange is a fraud. He's no healer," A protester said outside the tent.

"Amen, brother,"

"Keep up the good work," Sam said.

"Thank you," The protester said. "He's taking your hard-earned money. Don't be taken in by this man!"

Sam and Phoenix watched as Roy left with his wife out of their house.

Sam opened the window and moved the curtain aside so Phoenix could enter.

Phoenix got to work on the door, smirking when she heard the lock click. "And I thought you were the bookworm," she huffed as she saw the number of dusty books inside the room.

"So what do we do?" Sam wondered.

Phoenix took note of the amount of dust in the room. "If this book gets used a lot, there will be less dust," she and Sam began looking around the room. Phoenix paused when she noticed a break in the dust "Sam..." she pulled the book out, "Encyclopedia of Christian History," she flipped through the pages but didn't find any spells.

"Phoe..." Sam reached to the bookshelf and pulled out a smaller book.

Phoenix looked over Sam's shoulder and felt her skin crawl as she noted the image of death. She moved to stop Sam from flipping the page "The cross..."

Sam pulled out a news article about a Gay teacher and another about an abortion doctor. "Oh, no," he pulled out another article about the protester before the church. He dialed Dean's phone. "Roy's choosing victims he sees as immoral, and I think we know who's next on his list. Remember that protester?"

"The guy in the parking lot?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. We'll find him, but you can't let Roy heal anyone, right?" Sam hung up and noticed Phoenix's look. "I'm sorry,"

"Say that again after this case, Samuel," Phoenix said as she headed out of the house to look for the protester.

"Help!" The Protester called out.

Phoenix hurried over to the protester and took a stance between him and the reaper.

The protester gripped Phoenix's arm tightly. "Help me, please!"

"All right, come on," Phoenix lead the protester away from the reaper.

Sam hurried over with his phone to his ear. "I think it's okay,"

Phoenix shook her head "No, it's not,"