Hook Man

Sam was on a payphone outside an outdoor cafe. "Alright, thank you for your time." he hung up and walked back to the table.

Phoenix was working on the laptop.

"Your, uh, half-caf, double vanilla latte is gettin' cold over here, Nancy Drew," Dean teased.

"Bite me," Phoe grumbled.

Dean looked over at Sam "So, anything?"

Sam shook his head "I had 'em check the FBI's Missing Persons Data Bank. No John Doe's fitting Dad's description. I even ran his plates for traffic violations,"

"Sam, I'm tellin' ya, I don't think Dad wants to be found,"

Phoenix looked up and saw Sam's look of disappointment and decided to change the subject as she turned the laptop towards the boys "Check this out," Phoe showed Sam and Dean an article on the computer "It's a news item out of Planes Courier. Ankeny, Iowa. It's only about a hundred miles from here,"

Sam read the article "The mutilated body was found near the victim's car, parked on 9 Mile Road,"

"Keep reading,"

"Authorities are unable to provide a realistic description of the killer. The sole eyewitness, whose name has been withheld, is quoted as saying the attacker was invisible." Dean read "Could be something interesting,"

"Or it could be nothing at all." Sam argued "One freaked out witness who didn't see anything? Doesn't mean it's the Invisible Man,"

"But what if it is? Dad would check it out,"

***

The boys and Phoenix stopped at the fraternity where Rich lived. The other frat brothers were confused.
Sam, Dean, and Phoe got out of the car.

"One more time, why are we here?" Phoenix asked Dean.

"Victim lived here," Dean said.

"Okay...why am I here?! It's a Frat house..."

"You could help us get information,"

"Fine but if one person here touches me or speaks to me like a dog...I'm out,"

Dean placed a reassuring hand on Phoe's back "Deal,"

They walked up to some guys fixing a car.

"Nice wheels,"

The Frat boys looked at Dean weirdly only to change their gaze over to Phoenix.

"We're your fraternity brothers." Dean claimed "From Ohio. We're new in town. Transfers. Looking for a place to stay,"

The Frat boys were still looking at Phoe.

Phoenix shook her head as she was able to see their thoughts "Can't do it. I'll get a motel or something,"

"I can give you a lift!" A frat boy called out.

"I'll walk...thanks," Phoenix walked down the road and felt a pull.

Understanding the pull, she followed her intuition to a church.

Phoe felt herself freeze at the doors, she hadn't been inside a church since she had fallen. Phoenix took a deep breath and walked inside.

"Our hearts go out to the family of a young man who perished. And my personal prayers of thanks go out as well because I believe he died trying to protect my daughter."

Phoe looked over to where the Reverand was glancing towards and saw a girl who looked embarrassed for being called out.

"And now, as time heals all our wounds, we should reflect on what this tragedy means. To us, as a church."

Phoenix jumped as the door slammed shut behind her.

The congregation went silent and turned to look at her.

"Sorry," she mouthed.

The Reverand continued "...as a community, and as a family. The loss of a young person is particularly tragic. A life unlived is the saddest of passings,"

Phoe sat down.

The Reverand's daughter stared at Phoenix, and Phoe smiled weakly at her.

"So, please, let us pray." The Reverand said "For peace, for guidance, and for the power to protect our children,"

Everyone bowed their head in prayer.

Phoenix had to hold in her gasp as everyone's thoughts came at her. She bit her lip in thought, the shapeshifter's words hitting her...

"He doesn't even know your alive,"

Phoe glanced down and saw the glimmer of her necklace and decided that now was probably better than nothing. "Hey, it's me...I mean it's really me. I'm not some demon playing games." she looked up at the stain-glassed window "God...I don't even know if this is working...it's been so long..." Phoenix's grip tightened around where she was sitting and she could have sworn she heard the wood splinter from her grip "something happened...and I can feel myself slipping." Phoe felt wet puddles begin to form "Just...give me a sign. Hell, come down here yourself and tell me...tell me that I'm doing the right thing. That all I'm doing isn't for nothing..." Phoenix remained silent, waiting for that sign. She flinched when a hand touched her shoulder.

"Phoenix..."

Hearing the voice caused Phoe to turn her head only to see an empty spot.

But even with no one there, Phoenix couldn't help the smile that ghosted her face as her hand fiddled around with her necklace.