Wendigo [3]

The group had built a campfire, and Dean drew something in the dirt around the campsite while Haley poked at the fire. "One more time, that's-" Haley said

"Anasazi symbols. It's for protection." Dean explained "The wendigo can't cross over them,"

Roy laughed, gun over his shoulder.

"Nobody likes a skeptic, Roy," Phoenix sassed.

Dean headed over to sit next to Sam and Phoe, who was at the edge of the campsite. "You wanna tell me what's going on in that freaky head of yours?"

"Dean-" Phoenix started

"No, he's not fine." Dean said, turning to Sam "You're like a powder keg, man, it's not like you. I'm supposed to be the belligerent one, remember?"

Sam paused "Dad's not here. I mean, that much we know for sure, right? He would have left us a message, a sign, right?"

"Yeah, you're probably right. Tell you the truth, I don't think Dad's even been to Lost Creek,"

"Then let's get these people back to town and let's hit the road. Go find Dad. I mean, why are we still even here?"

"This is why," Phoe held up John's journal "This book. This is your father's single most valuable possession-everything he knows about every evil thing is in here. And he's passed it on to you two. I think he wants you to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things,"

Dean nodded "The family business,"

Sam shook his head. "That makes no sense. Why doesn't he just call us? Why doesn't he tell us what he wants, tell us where he is?"

"I dunno. But the way I see it, Dad's giving us a job to do, and I intend to do it,"

"Dean...no. I gotta find Dad. I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about,"

"Okay, all right, Sam, we'll find them, I promise. Listen to me. You've gotta prepare yourself. I mean, this search could take a while, and all that anger, you can't keep it burning over the long haul. It's gonna kill you. You gotta have patience, man,"

Sam looked down, then up. "How do you do it? How does Dad do it?"

Dean looked over at Haley and Ben. "Well for one, them,"

Sam looked over at Haley and Ben.

"I mean, I figure our family's so screwed to hell, maybe we can help some others. Makes things a little bit more bearable." Dean said.

"I'll tell you what else helps," Phoenix said.

Sam and Dean looked back at her.

"Killing as many evil sons of bitches as I possibly can," Phoe said.

Sam smiled as Dean high-fived her. A twig snapped.

"Help me! Please!" the Wendigo cried.

Dean stood and readied his gun.

"Help!" The Wendigo cried.

Sam shined a flashlight about.

"He's trying to draw us out." Phoenix reasoned "Just stay cool, stay put,"

"Inside the magic circle?" Roy asked

"Help! Help me!" The Wendigo growled

Roy pointed his gun at the sound "Okay, that's no grizzly,"

Haley talked to Ben "It's okay. You'll be all right, I promise,"

Something rushed past. Haley shrieked.

"It's here," Phoe said

Roy shot at the rustling, then again. "I hit it!" Roy went to see what he hit.

"Roy, no! Roy!" Dean turned to Haley and Ben. "Don't move,"

Haley was holding a stick, burning at one end, as a weapon.

Dean and Sam ran after Roy.

"It's over here!" Roy shouted, "It's in the tree!"

The Wendigo reached down from the tree and snapped Roy's neck.

"Roy!" Dean shouted