Hook Man [2]

Phoenix exited the church once Mass had ended and walked up to Lori. "Are you Lori?"

"Yeah." Lori quirked her head to the side "I saw you inside,"

"Yeah..." Phoe said sheepishly "sorry about that. I didn't want to bother you. I just heard about what happened and I wanted to say how sorry I am. I kind of know what you're going through. I-I saw someone...get hurt once. It's something you don't forget,"

Lori nodded slightly.

Reverand Sorensen walked up to them.

"Dad," Lori greeted "um, this is..."

"Phoenix," Phoenix introduced as she shook the reverend's hand "It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. I must say that was an inspiring sermon,"

"Thank you very much. It's so nice to find young people who are open to the Lord's message," The Reverend said.

Phoenix chuckled "You have no idea." She said quietly as the Reverend walked off. Phoe sighed in relief and touched Lori's arm "Tell me, Lori. What are the police saying?"

"Well, they don't have a lot to go on. I think they blame me for that," Lori admitted.

"What do you mean?"

"My story. I was so scared, I guess I was seeing things,"

"That doesn't mean it wasn't real,"

***

"Do you believe her?" Dean asked Phoenix once she joined the boys at the library and explained Lori's statement.

"I do," Phoe nodded. "There's something in her eyes. And listen to this: she heard scratching on the roof. Found the bloody body suspended upside down over the car,"

"Wait, the body suspended?" Sam questioned, "That sounds like the..."

"Yeah, I know, the Hook Man legend,"

"That's one of the most famous urban legends ever." Dean said "You don't think that we're dealing with the Hook Man,"

Phoenix only shrugged in response.

"Every urban legend has a source." Sam noted "A place where it all began,"

"Yeah, but what about the phantom scratches and the tire punctures and the invisible killer?" Dean asked.

"Well, maybe the Hook Man isn't a man at all. What if it's some kind of spirit?" Phoenix suggested as the librarian walked over and placed a few big boxes in front of her.

"Here you go. Arrest records going back to 1851,"

Dean blew some dust off a box and coughed.

"Thank you," Phoe smiled.

"Ok," The Librarian walked away.

"So, this is how you spent four good years of your life, huh?" Dean asked.

"Welcome to higher education," Phoenix teased.

***

"Hey, check this out," Sam called out after they had done hours worth of reading. "1862. A preacher named Jacob Karns was arrested for murder. It looks like he was angry over the red light district in town that one night he killed 13 prostitutes. Uh, right here, some of the deceased were found in their bed, sheets soaked with blood. Others suspended upside down from the limbs of trees as a warning against sins of the flesh,"

"Get this," Phoenix said as she looked at another page "the murder weapon? Looks like the preacher lost his hand in an accident. Had it replaced with a silver hook,"

Sam pointed to another page "Look where all this happened. 9 Mile Road,"

"Same place where the frat boy was killed,"

"Nice job, Dr. Venkmen and Nancy Drew." Dean said impressed "Let's check it out,"

Sam and Phoenix gathered all the research and left.

***

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix drove up 9 MileRoad and got out of the car.

Dean opened the trunk and handed Sam and Phoe rifles. "Here you go,"

"If it is a spirit, buckshot won't do much good," Phoenix pointed out.

"Yeah, rock salt," Dean handed it to Phoe.

"Huh. Salt being a spirit deterrent,"

Dean took out a coil of rope and shut the trunk. "Yeah. It won't kill 'em. But it'll slow 'em down,"

They started walking towards the trees.

"That's pretty good. You and Dad think of this?" Sam asked.

"I told you. You don't have to be a college graduate to be a genius," Dean said.

They heard noises among the trees and stopped walking.

Phoe raised her gun and looked around.

"Over there. Over there," Dean whispered.

Phoenix aimed the gun and cocked it.

A figure came out from behind the trees, it was the Sheriff. "Put the gun down now! Now put your hands behind your head,"

Phoe huffed but did as she was told.

"W-w-wait, okay, okay!" Dean argued.

"Now get down on your knees. Come on, do it! On your knees!" The Sheriff ordered.

They got down.

"Now get down on your bellies. Come on, do it!"

"She had the gun!" Dean argued as they laid down, Phoenix being sure to kick him when she had the chance.