Memories

A/N: Thank you so much for 1K reads! Here's a bonus chapter this week!!!

Alana POV

I duck under the low-lying branches and slide down the old path I made when I was little. After walking for about ten more minutes, I see the stream that flows down the middle of the forest. I see the sun peaking through the branches overhead. The dust and pollen in the air make it look like a scene out of a movie. I slide down to the log that was lying on its side next to the water. "Wow," Chase says as he stands there on the incline, looking over the river and the green area that surrounds it. "This place is gorgeous." He says as he slowly slides down the incline and sits next to me. We look at the peace and calm of the river for a long time. "How did you know about this place?" Chase asks. "Well... This used to be where I came to clear my head." He gives me a questioning look. I walk over to a tree about fifteen feet from where we were sitting. I move a rock at the base of the tree to reveal a small hollowed-out hole. "I can't believe it's still here," I say, smiling and laughing a little bit. "What is it?"
"It's my old run bag."
"Run bag?"
"Well, that's what I used to call it. I used to be in a foster home near here; I had it all planned out how I was going to run away. I had a journal in my bag that I would come here and write every day after school so that way, my foster parents wouldn't be suspicious when I didn't come home right after school. I had a water bottle and some money so that I could buy food. I had a few extra changes of clothes. I had everything I thought I would need to make a clean getaway. I wanted to start my own life." I opened the bag and started to go through the objects that I had packed. I pulled out notes of things that were important to me at the time, small gifts, and a stuffed animal. "What happened? Why didn't you run?"
"My foster family figured out I was a flight risk, so they called CPS and asked me to be moved somewhere else."
"Was the next home better?"
"Yeah, I think it was. I mean, I'm still with them so, that's got to mean something worked out, right?" Chase's face changed. "You were a flight risk when you came to live with us?"
"yeah, I was so upset when I got moved. I had everything planned out, but it didn't work. My case was super weird too. I was a flight risk, but the reason I went with you guys is your well, OUR parents wanted to adopt me. Apparently, my caseworker sent them a file, and they wanted to give me a shot. If I didn't go with them, apparently, I was headed back to another group home." I shrug my shoulders.  "It's getting dark; we should head home." I get up and put my Journal back into the hole that it was in."
"Alana? Why did you put it back?"
"I'm not sure if I want to reopen that chapter of my life just yet. I think it can stay here for a while longer." I say, placing the rock back in front of the entrance to the hole. I climb out of the forest with the small bag on my back. We jog back home and walk inside just as dusk hits. "Mom! We're home!"
"Kids, dinners almost here!" We walk into the living room where Dad had set up the TV and Blu-ray player, and Mom had laid out a large blanket on the floor. We're going to have an indoor picnic and a movie. I start to smile. Maybe Dad was right. It's not a building that makes a home. It's the people inside. I start to wander and explore the house a little bit until dinner is ready. It is starting to look like home. I see pictures on the walls and books on the shelf. I walk upstairs and knock on Carson's door. "I'm not hungry."
"Dinners not here yet." I slowly see the door open, and Carson's tear-stained face appears from behind the door. "What do you want." He says in a very slow and steady tone. "I want to know why I haven't seen my brother since we got to the house." I give him a sassy look as he rolls his eyes at me. "Leave me alone."
"Do you need help unpacking?"
"No, leave me alone."
"Are you gonna tell me what's wrong?"
"No, leave me alone."
"That's okay if you don't want to tell me right now. I can wait a few minutes."
"What part of leave me alone don't you understand." He starts to raise his voice and get upset with me. "Okay, fine, I'll be across the hall unpacking if you need anything." He nods his head and slowly closes the door. I sigh before heading across the hall to my room. I look at the bed my Dad must have set up while Chase and I were on our run. I look at the furniture that is now sitting in the middle of my room. I start to arrange my room the way I want it to look. I get all of the big pieces of furniture pushed up against the walls and arranged how I want them when I hear mom yell, "Kids, pizza's here!" I run downstairs and into the living room, where everything was set up so we could eat pizza on the floor while watching a movie. We all sit there waiting for Carson to come down. "I'm going to go get him," Mom says as she starts heading towards the stairs. "Why don't you guys start without us." She calmly walks down the hallway and upstairs. We start eating, and about ten minutes later, Carson reluctantly comes downstairs. He silently sits down and starts eating. We all finish dinner and the movie. "Well, all of you have had a big day today. Why don't you guys go to bed, and we will start again first thing in the morning. I nod my head as I get up. "Goodnight, Mom, Goodnight Dad."
"Goodnight, Alana." I walk out of the room Chase and Carson following close behind. "Carson, can you stay down here for a minute?" he nods his head and goes and sits back on the floor next to Mom and Dad. Chase and I both go upstairs; I lay down, tossing and turning for a while and starring at the weathered bag sitting in the corner of my room. I quietly get up and walk over to it. I open the main pocket and pull out a stuffed bear who has definitely seen better days.  I sneak back over to my bed and crawl inside of the warm covers as I quickly drift off to sleep.

Chase POV

I roll over and look at my clock; 3 am another sleepless night, I guess. I didn't think it would be hard to go back to sleeping in my own room, but it's hard without having Carson there. I begin to contemplate walking over to his room to see if he's awake but based on the five times he has yelled at me today over nothing, I don't know if waking him up is the best idea. I get up and out of bed, I walk out into the hallway. The hallway by our rooms is more like another room that all of our rooms connect to. It has several boxes stacked up against the wall, but otherwise still looks empty. I walk up to Alana's door; it is slightly open. When I look inside, I see her over in the corner looking in that bag we went and got earlier. She pulls out a small stuffed animal. I can't really tell what animal it is, though. She quietly sneaks back over to her bed and climbs under her covers. I wait a few minutes before I try to sneak into her room. "So, you did finally decide to come in." She mumbles. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you."
"You didn't; I can't sleep either." She says, sitting up. "What did you mean finally come in?"
"Chase, I'm not blind, and you are definitely not quiet. I saw you outside the door." I nod my head. "Well, it's late. You should probably get to sleep."
"Yea, and you should probably grab the sleeping bag out of my closet and lay it out on the floor because we both know neither of us will be sleeping if we are both in our own rooms tonight." I give her a small smile. I walk over to her closet and pull out the sleeping bag, and unroll it on the floor. "Goodnight, Chase," she says as she rolls over and falls asleep. I lay there until I hear soft snoring. I quietly get up and sneak back into my own room. I slowly begin to fall asleep, hoping tomorrow night will be better.