Chapter 31: The Return

You were given a break after facing that incident. You had a slight back pain from falling and grazed knees and palms, but they were nothing serious. It was more of an emotional treatment to relax, but Misun's condition kept you away from that.

Misun bore no injury unlike you, but the emotional stress on her with someone targeting her with a killing intent, more so as she was pregnant, worried you.

And so you had been frequenting to the inner palace, visiting her confined in bed. Fortunately, both her and her baby were safe and healthy.

One thing that troubled you from visiting her was how she'd tear up every time she'd see you, apologising endlessly. After comforting her couple of times, she had eased on the action, and hence visiting her today shouldn't be too dramatic, you thought.

Yoongi and you were going to pay her a visit officially, also blessing her with good fortunes read through constellations, as a way to help her out.

Today, Misun wasn't laying on her bed but seated up on a chair, and smiled at you entering the room. "Y/n!"

You and Yoongi bowed respectfully before walking towards her.

"Lady seems to be well," you smiled at how her cheeks were gaining the initial rosiness, her eyes the glitter.

"Don't be so formal with me! Call me Misun like always."

"But I'm here as an official...," you felt troubled. You felt like you had to be formal at least when you were doing your job, and you glanced at Yoongi for help but he only responded with an irresponsible shrug.

A rather quiet atmosphere was disturbed by a loud ruckus coming from the entrance of the house. Loud footsteps of a group rushing in was heard, with one of them screaming, "Your Highness, please slow down! You might get hurt!", followed by a thundering entrance of a figure calling out, "Misun!"

"Your Highness!"

Misun quickly recognised the person, calling him out longingly, attempting to stand up and run to him. However, she definitely wasn't in her best condition, and she almost tripped, which was soundly caught by the other—none other than her husband, Kim Seokjin.

"Are you...are you okay??" Seokjin cupped Misun's cheeks and bulged his already big eyes, his voice infused with anxiety and concern.

"Yes, Your Highness," Misun answered, her voice slightly shaky. It wasn't because she remembered the incident, dragging her in fear, but it was because how Seokjin approached her—his eyes full of care that were glued to her so as to not miss any sign she gave, his voice out of breath evident of how he didn't miss a beat to her place, and his warm hands that held her as if she was his most precious treasure.

"Thanks to her," she added, gesturing at you. Seokjin gave you a quick glance in which you responded with a flurried bow.

"I'm grateful for your dedication. You shall be rewarded," Seokjin mentioned as a prince, before he turned back to Misun, being nothing but a husband.

"When did you get back from your trip?" Misun asked.

"Just now. And as soon as I heard your news, I had to rush."

Misun gave another shy smile, but her blush only deepened as Seokjin fished her legs up, carrying her in his arms. Misun gave out a small cute scream, while other servants but you averted their eyes away from the two as customary. The clueless person, you, smiled at the scene only briefly until Yoongi smacked your head at the back, nudging you to follow the rule.

"You need to rest," Seokjin said in a soft voice, gently placing her down on the bed. "Now that I'm relieved to see you safe and sound, I need to report back to His Majesty. I'll come back later, okay?"

"Please do! There's something I need to tell you...," Misun confirmed.

Seokjin gave a soft smile, caressing her head one more time, assuring he would.

As soon as Seokjin and his servants left the room, Misun asked you to come closer.

"His Highness rushed to me even though he was tired from his trip," Misun mumbled dazedly.

You smiled at how she was finally tasting the affection she yearned for. You never doubted Seokjin loved her, only it was her insecurity. However you didn't have the strong evidence to convince Misun, and neither did you know what had happened in their past. But what passed in front of your eyes just now, was the utmost care he had for her, undoubtedly.

"He didn't even know I had his baby. He must be truly caring about me?" she asked, her insecurity still lingering, needing a confirmation. Which you didn't hesitate to give, happily looking down at the girl in love. "Yes, of course, Misun. He cares about you."

Shortly after, you and Yoongi left too. What you didn't expect was to see Seokjin again, but almost like a completely different person, frostily looking down at someone kneeling in front of him—Hoseok.

"May Your Highness behead this lowly one!" Hoseok begged, his head firmly staring down at the ground, his bow low.

Behead.

That word was a strong blow to your brain, once again, striking the reality that you were living in the past. It was how 'death' was in close proximity to everyone. You just couldn't imagine how someone you met yesterday would only return with the head the next day. What kind of life was that?

"Name your crime," Seokjin commanded, his voice icy and detached.

"To not be able to follow your order of accompanying Lady Misun, putting her life in danger. To let my shameless self not accompany you to the expedition, allowing bandits to attempt murder, risking the most valuable life of Your Highness."

You felt your head spinning, your breath shallow. Did Hoseok just mention Seokjin almost got assassinated?

"My crime is crucial and I deserve the capital punishment. Pray Your Highness grants me my wish," Hoseok's voice was stern and determined, not a single waver or attachment towards his life on a thread. He most certainly believed his punishment was well worth, or perhaps he expected worse if possible, contempt towards his failure. It appeared the most rightful thing to do as a royal guard—to surrender his life for the ineptitude.

Seokjin only stared down at the man bowing, unmoving. A few good minutes passed like that, as if someone pressed pause, one man kneeling, one man looking down icily, spectators jittery, holding their breaths. The one to break the silence, was unexpectedly Yoongi.

"Apologies for my intrusion, Your Highness," he started, stepping forward and honestly your anxiety only grew. "If I may advise as a humble astronomer, if beheading him isn't a choice, then perhaps he should at least be banished. He has truly dishonored the royal household with his incompetence, and I see in stars that he'd bring further misfortune."

What was Yoongi saying?

When he stepped out, you had a small anticipation of him trying to save Hoseok. But banishing? Incompetence? He almost sounded like he wanted to penalise Hoseok.

A/N:

Sorry for the wait but hey, Seokjin is alive! 

Guess someone has got a beef with someone...