Chapter 24: The Resolution

The preparation for the expedition to the Southern State didn't take much time.

Even though the people's dissatisfaction swirled in the air, the new head of the State was doing all he could to wipe off the distrust. Seokjin and Namjoon were merely visiting and no huge armies were needed.

"Please let me come with you, Your Highness!" Hoseok pleaded.

Seokjin sighed. "I heard you hurt yourself during training."

"Such small matters shall not come in the way of my job as the personal guard."

"An injured guard is more of a burden than a help," Seokjin scoffed. "Besides, I'm only visiting my father in law. Few guards is enough."

"Your Highness...!"

"Your job is to protect Misun instead. Understood?"

And so the two took a leave with taking along three guards for each.

"I feel so assured to have you come along, Namjoon!" said Seokjin cheerfully, riding a horse side by side with Namjoon's, leaving the city. "I'm good at talking useless stuff, but with your smartness, I think we will have a constructive meeting with the new head to figure out the future of the Southern State."

Seokjin laughed loudly but Namjoon's face was stiff.

"Your Highness is too kind...." barely squeezing out those words.

—Last night at Consort's residence

"...May you repeat what you have said?"

Namjoon almost dropped the teapot from his hand at the word of his mother.

"I have hired a group of assassins to kill Seokjin," Lady Myungok repeated calmly, taking a sip of her freshly poured lotus tea.

After rolling the fragrant tea on her taste buds, she swallowed slowly before opening her mouth again.

"My son, you know how His Majesty is feeling unwell recently."

The Emperor Beomseok was ill—such news spread around the palace, then to the city, through the states rather quickly. He had been leaving breakfast half-eaten, and his unseizing cough was evident. Everyone could see that he was growing thinner and smaller. The palace doctor attended him diligently, but the Emperor didn't seem to get any better.

A new Emperor will thrive soon—everyone thought so. And not a single person doubted the capability of Kim Seokjin, the Crown Prince.

"To go out of the city with him, taking only few guards? You'll never get any luckier than this, my son!" Her usual acute voice cracked in excitement.

"The assassins dressed as bandits will attack you two on your way back. You only have to pretend to fight them back, and disappear. You'd be a victim, and the unfortunate Seokjin will die!"

Slamming the tea cup on the table, she stood up abruptly and walked towards an open window. It was a half moon night; one side shining brightly and the other side swallowed in complete darkness.

"Wait. Even better, my son, kill one of the assassins and bring his head back home! Then you will be called a compassionate prince, who was emotionally stabbed by losing his beloved brother. Surely everyone will be on our side!"

Every piece of her own idea seemed to be a drug, intoxicating her high-pitched laughter. Her red robe flattered with night wind, moonlight shining through it as if it were painted in blood.

Namjoon's heart was pounding, goosebumps covering his entire body.

He always knew what his mother wanted. And what his mother wanted was what he wanted. He knew this was coming, but was he mentally prepared?