Chapter 22: The Gift

Being promoted to an official, many things changed around you. The spacious room and better dishes to name a few, but those were minor changes. The major change was that you started joining morning assemblies. Knowing nothing about fortune telling as well as politics, you thought you were very out of place, and the sheer pressure in the room was overwhelming, making you shrink behind Yoongi.

The reports were being made as usual, and the Emperor responded as usual. However his voice seemed to be weaker than what you've heard the first time you saw him, and his figure thinner.

"Next," mumbled the Emperor.

"Your Majesty, it is reported that the previous head of the Southern State has fallen ill, and is now in bed for two weeks," one of the officials reported.

Hearing that, Seokjin stood up. "Your Majesty, I would like to go see him."

The Southern State was where his wife Misun came from, and that exact person was her father. Naturally, Misun would rather see her father, but since she wasn't feeling well recently, Seokjin volunteered to go see his father in law.

Before the Emperor could reply, another official spoke. "I'm afraid that wouldn't be suitable, Your Majesty."

"Speak," the Emperor urged.

"It hasn't been long since the previous head's misappropriation. The repulsion within the locals towards him hasn't yet calmed down even when his son has taken over the head and is working through it. For His Highness the Crown Prince to pay a visit to the previous head might lead to distrust towards us too."

A sound of agreement came out from the mass.

Seokjin gripped his fist but earlier than he could utter a word, a voice was heard from next to him.

"Your Majesty, I would like a word," Namjoon said.

"Speak."

"I believe that that is all the more reason why the Crown Prince's visit would matter. It would show that he cares about people and is not ignoring the matter of other states. It would be suitable to have a proper meeting with the current head to ensure things like misappropriation will not happen again."

"Is Your Highness suggesting that whenever there is a matter, His Highness the Crown Prince needs to attend?" the official who opposed the idea asked.

"Whenever might be difficult due to circumstances. But the strong government cannot exist without his people's trust. To hide away, ignoring the matter, scared of ruining the reputation isn't the way to handle the problem," Namjoon's words were sharp, shooting a sharper glare at the man.

The official chuckled sardonically, accompanied with a clap. "Your Highness' way of governing is beautiful. Very hopeful, indeed. Almost like a pretty fairy tale. Such idealism derives from age and amount of experience, so we all understand. I only hope his aspiration doesn't grow as high as the sun*."

Namjoon bit his lip, looking down to hide his face turning red from frustration. The man basically called him naive and greedy, shaming him in front of all the officials.

But what could he say? He was only 20, and he was only a consort's son. To raise a voice and argue with them will only solidify his accusations.

"What is wrong with being hopeful?"

Just when Namjoon was about to bow and walk backwards, a strong voice cut through unpleasant mass murmuring. Seokjin was standing tall, his eyes intensely stinging the official, making the man gulp.

"What can the empire without hope offer its people? How can we make our people content if we, who lead the empire, see no hope? There is no future for the empire if we have stopped to chase the light ahead of us!"

Seokjin's stern voice vibrated the air of the room and you almost heard the furniture rattle. You shivered. Goosebumps were all over your body.

The tone that makes people surrender at once.

The intensity that makes people tongue-tied.

The gleam in the eyes that held tremendous power.

The strong will that makes people track his shadow.

The undoubtful aura which only the person who is capable of standing at the top possesses.

Seokjin stepped closer to the official, and the man gasped, shrinking smaller in size.

"And is Namjoon's aspiration too high? I think he is way more qualified than people who are blinded by self-protection."

"Enough!" a loud deep voice rang from the throne. Everyone looked at the Emperor.

"Seokjin, did I ever teach you how to talk ill-mannered to your elders?" he asked sternly to his son.

"...No, Your Majesty," Seokjin turned to the throne and bowed, his prior aura diminishing.

"You will be locked up in a discipline hall for the rest of the day. Now go back to your place."

Seokjin bowed once again, and returned to his seat.

Then the Emperor turned to the officials and announced, "Seokjin and Namjoon will go to the Southern State to pay a visit in two days. I believe this will be a good occasion to resettle the problems."

Everyone listened to the orders quietly, while Seokjin and Namjoon shot their heads up to the Emperor, their faces beaming with delight.

"The problem that could have been avoided if the official in charge of the Southern State at that time was keen on his job," the Emperor remarked in a deep voice, shooting a glare at the official who was in the center of attention just now. The glare sent chills down his spine, automatically curling his lips.

After the assembly was dismissed, Seokjin and Namjoon walked towards the discipline room together.

"I'm sorry hyungnim," Namjoon muttered.

"For what?"

"For the punishment you're receiving. Only because you stood up for me."

Hearing that, Seokjin laughed.

"I only did that because I wanted to," he said, looking into Namjoon's eyes. "Nobody should shame you, Namjoon-ah. You're wise and promising. Please do not lose those blessings in you. I told you before, do not thank me or apologise to me for such things. I'd always stand up for my brothers...I'm proud to have you as my brother, Namjoon."

Namjoon's wavering eyes finally landed on Seokjin's; they were crystal clear—honesty, genuinity, empathy, righteousness, determination...you name it, but they were those that would make one entrust their soul in his hands.

It wasn't the first time Namjoon saw them. Long ago, he realised that his brother had such an innate gift.

A/N:

*The sun refers to the Emperor. Data collected from  the K-drama 'Moon embracing the Sun'!