To the Justiciar

Everything seemed to happen so fast, faster than you could say Rumpelstiltskin.

One moment I was beside Carol, the next moment I was in front of her, shielding her from the onslaught of Nancy's anger. I had one hand pulling Carol behind me, the other raised high to protect my face from the angry blow from Nancy—in whatever form it was coming.

With eyes closed, forearm shielding my face, Carol whimpering behind me, I waited.

There was nothing.

I opened one eye, then the other, only to see Mr Douglas holding on to Nancy who looked ready to kill, with both hands firmly, mind you.

‘Tom, get out of my way! Let me teach this witch a lesson she'd never forget! What have I ever done to you, ehn?! To see how dumb you are, you stole it and kept it in your bag, Ode! Look at her ugly—’

‘Enough of that!’ Mr Douglas roared, literally, tightening his already tight grip on Nancy's arms. The class could've been mistaken for a graveyard if someone hadn't sneezed suddenly.

Ouch, that would leave a mark.

If Nancy was in pain, she was holding it in real good because she didn't flinch for one second, but she did stop ranting after Mr Douglas literally screamed in her ears. She stood still, vibrating with visible anger. You could almost picture a mad bull in her stead with ears emitting smoke, about to charge towards the brave cowboy ready to rope, during a rodeo.

I was the cowboy, but I was nothing close to brave. Rash, yes. But not brave.

‘Nancy, if you as much as touch a hair on this girl's head, I'd teach you a lesson. Behave yourself!’ Mr Douglas was close to loosing it, almost smacking Nancy's face with his fist which was snaked around Nancy's chubby arms as she struggled to wriggle out of his grip as if saying “guy free me na”(leave me alone). She was poised like a vicious snake, waiting for the moment Mr Douglas' grip would relax even for a little bit so she could attack.

I'd never seen Nancy this mad before. I always knew there was a back story to why everyone let her be, including the bloodsucking bullies. I could clearly see why now. No one wanted to be at the recieving end of Nancy's blood rage.

Nancy relaxed her stance, breathing heavily like she had just outrun an SUV. I guess fury zaps that much energy out of a person. She looked a bit calmer now, but her dark eyes, cloaked in fury never left Carol for one second.

Carol.

I still held onto her wrists, unwilling to let go. She still stood behind me, quivering. It was obvious all this was a little too much for her.

Concerned, I gave her a sideway glance, at the same time keeping an eye on Nancy. Carol's grey eyes were glazed over and distant, with silent tears streaming down from them.

I knew why. She was watching her childhood trauma happen all over again, when she was accused of thiefery and just like that time, she had no proof, no alibi, no one to stand for her, to even prove she was innocent.

Not even me. I felt powerless because as much as I'd love to stand for her outrightly, I had no proof.

At that point, all I wanted to do was wrap my arms around her and comfort her, but I couldn't.

At least, not yet.

I felt ashamed for not being able to help her and for thinking she could have done it.

A lot had happened in my life to make me have a double check before believing anything or anyone and it was clearly affecting my sense of judgement.