Unruly

Time seemed to have frozen in place as we stood, staring at each other. My eyes were wide and my jaw hung open. Sheilagh on the other hand wore an inquisitive look which was unwaveringly affixed on me.

I'm sure you can already guess who ended the stare down.

I turned away to look at Carol who had already recovered from the initial shock. Her face held a blank expression, staring at Sheilagh who didn't even spare her a blink.

Her eyes remained glued on me.

Mercy's words found it's way to my mind again at the intense way Sheilagh's eyes were piercing mine.

I looked at Carol again and that was when Sheilagh lost it.

‘Are you just going to keep staring back and forth or would you speak to me?’

‘No one called you into the discussion, Yinka.’ Carol retorted, stepping in between me and Sheilagh who stood her ground.

I had never been much of a talker, but so many things have been rendering me speechless recently and think it was starting to take it's toll on me, because all I did was stand and watch the two girls biting at each other.

‘The last time I checked, I was talking to Tom, not you.’ Sheilagh was starting to get annoyed and so was Carol.

‘Is that how you go about barging into people's conversations uninvited?’ Carol scrunched her face in disgust.

‘Carol or whatever you are,’ Sheilagh said, eyeing Carol from head to toe like she was dung ‘I don't have a problem with you, but if you want a fight, I'd give it to you.’

At the sound of the word, "fight", I found my words and immediately spoke up.

‘It hasn't gotten to that, Sheilagh.’ I pleaded,  squeezing myself in between them to prevent them from tearing each other apart; the look in their eyes suggested they were about ready to do just that.

‘The reason I'm respecting this...thing,’  Sheilagh sneered, ‘Is because of you, Tom.’

‘The same reason I've not clawed out that pretty face of yours!' Carol spatted angrily.

Oh Lord, what have I gotten into?

‘No clawing, no disrespecting, please!’ I sighed, ‘Okay Sheilagh, let's talk.’

‘Tom!’ Carol exclaimed, eyes wide with disbelief.

I pulled her aside, putting a reasonable distance between us and Sheilagh.

‘What do you think you're doing?' Carol cried out.

How do I explain this?

'I know what I'm doing, Okay?' I assured her, taking her hands in mine. She looked away, refusing to meet my eyes.

'Carol...'

'Whatever your plan is, Tom, I don't like it. ' She stated plainly. Of course she wouldn't understand. Even I didn't know why I did not just tell Sheilagh off immediately she demanded to know what we were talking about. Somehow, a part of me still believed Sheilagh is innocent of those accusations.

'Caroline...'
At the sound of her full name, she turned to look at me, surprised.
'I want you to trust me, okay?' I didn't shrink away this time. I looked firmly into her eyes, willing her to trust me.

I didn't know how I was able to do that because I didn't even trust myself that I was making the right decision.

Closing her eyes, Carol exhaled. ‘Okay. ’