𝒊. pools of honey

Start from the beginning

My showered body leaned against the white, marble, counter-tops, and I intertwined my hands together. I am tired, hungry, and sweaty. I cannot wait to get this day over with, I swear.

"Sawyer is lucky," Margot scoffed. "He actually gets to do fun shit here." She reached over and turned up the radio's sound by 3.

Sawyer is our older brother, who also has to work at our family's farm. Even though it can be a pain in the ass, you can definitely have good 'tasks' to do here. Like directing the zip-line, which is what he does.

Agreeing with her, I straightened up once I saw our father walking towards the entrance. I snapped my fingers, making my sister's glance go towards the entrance as well. Our father waved as he opened the glass door.

"Um, Margot, we need you at the slide." I playfully scoffed. She stood up as fast as she could, making my father and I laugh. "See ya, Ryry."

She sent me a quiet "Fuck you" with a smile, as she walked out the door.

For once, I actually wanted customers to come in. This boredom I will definitely not overcome until they do.

I slightly pulled my jean shorts down from them riding up, and ran my fingers through my honey brown hair. I could be on my phone right now, talking to a group-chat with my friends. Or even be hanging out with them. But, according to my grandpa, being on your phone on a slow day is unprofessional. I definitely don't have the energy or time to argue with that either. So, boredom it is.

I admired the beautiful outdoors from inside. Every tree had no same color. The shades of orange, yellow, red, and green were magnificent.

Putting a mint in my mouth from the bowl on the counter, I walked to the back kitchen. My shoes tapped against the tile. I started stocking up on the soda fridge. Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, you name it. The cold breeze hit me, giving me goosebumps upon my arms. I winced, closing the glass door. Soft Pandora music echoed throughout my mind.

My thoughts suddenly stopped whenever I heard the dinner-bell ring. Finally, a customer. I dropped a wooden crate onto the floor and adjusted my maroon, polo, work shirt. Walking through the archway into the stand, my eyes planted on the awkwardly standing boy in front of the counter. I cleared my throat, and gave him a smile.

"Hi, is there anything I could get you?" I questioned, playing with the pink scrunchie on my wrist. I walked up to the front counter. My fingers hovered over the cash register buttons, waiting for his response.

The teenage boy looked up from his phone, moving his brunette hair out of his eyes. He nodded, "Um, yeah. Can I just get a hot chocolate, please?" I typed it into the cash register, seeing him put his phone into his back pocket from the top of my eyes.

His accent.

"Of course. Uh, that'll be $3.50."

You could tell he is very shy. Or at least from my conclusions from our 4 second conversation. His skin was slightly tanned and he stood tall, about 5'11 or even 6'0.

He grabbed his black wallet from his back pocket from his pants, and pulled out a couple dollar bills. Handing it to me, our fingers slightly caressed. I could hear him swallow.

After putting it into the cash register, I turned around, grabbed a foam cup, and quickly made his hot-chocolate. I put the plastic top onto the cup, and wrapped it with a few napkins.

"Thank you. Have a wonderful day." He stammered, giving me a small smile. I nodded my head and gave him a smile as well.

I expected him to leave the building, but he did the opposite and sat on a stool at the bar.

After washing up around the coffee station, I started to think.

What was he doing in America? With that accent?

Why is he at a random family pumpkin patch in southern California?

Why is he just sitting there?

I walked towards the cash register again, and just leaned myself towards it. I really didn't know what to do at this point. He was just scrolling on his phone, drinking his hot chocolate, and just minding his business. Do I talk to him? Does he even want me to talk to him? I have so many questions.

I tapped my fingers against my temple. The farm closed in about two hours, and I definitely don't have the energy to even continue another 30 minutes. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Glancing over at him, I noticed he was done with his hot chocolate. I cleared my throat once again. I parted my lips to speak, only for me to be interrupted.

"Where is your bin?" He inquired, I walked towards the counter in front of him. "I'll just take it for you."

He grinned, giving me a slight nod. Our eyes locked for 3 seconds, and my god.

Literal pools of honey, I swear.

I sound cliche, but I'm telling the honest truth.

I grabbed the empty cup and threw it away in the back kitchen. Once I walked towards the front again, I expected him to already had left. But, I was wrong.

"Could I get you anything else?"

That was probably rude, fuck. He probably thinks I want him to leave or something.

The boy looked up from his phone. He looked me directly in the eyes, I walked towards the counter in front of him again. He shook his head no.

"Wait, um, actually." I've never heard a British accent in real life, and it was definitely just as attractive as I thought.

"Hm?"

"Your smile." He said plainly. I gave him a confused look.

"I bet people make jokes around you just to get you to smile, I would too."