Chapter 46

Jerome was out of bed early the next morning, muttering about checking in on the boys at the site where the victim had been found. Secretly Elsie found that since having Jason, Jerome's heart has softened somewhat towards kids.

  He didn't mind blowing up a building with innocent people inside, but he didn't go out of his way to kill or bother children. Perhaps it was her constant influence that had Serpents actually keeping an eye on the orphaned street kids, keeping perverts and murderers was away from them.

When she met up with her husband midday, he interacted as though nothing had happened. She knew he needed to process by himself and she didn't mind. She would wait patiently for that time when he would talk to her again about his abuse.

   No matter how long it took.

   After tucking Jason in for the night, and having just finished dressing the twins for bed as well, it was to her shock and curiosity when her burner phone buzzed in her pocket.

   Digging it out, she balanced it between her shoulder and cheek as she placed Lacy in her crib with her brother, both babbling away.

"Hello?"

  "You need to come see him."

  "Ecco why are you calling me," Elsie narrowed her eyes "and better yet, how did you get this number?" She'd be throwing it away immediately after.

   "I have my ways. Boss is really in bad shape. He's hit a rock bottom. You know I wouldn't call you, if I wasn't worried about him. He's not been the same since he found out Bruce Wayne left for good. He won't eat, won't sleep, I'm scared he might hurt himself. When you come, bring his children with you."

Without waiting for Elsie's response, she hung up, leaving poor Elsie staring at the phone blankly.

God damn these needy Valeska men.

"Remind me again, why I'm on my way in the middle of the night off to see my lying, annoying, traitorous, asshole sibling? When instead I could be having you screaming my name as I remind you of how perfect we are  together when we're alone." Jerome grumbled from the passenger seat.

  He had been pouting the entire drive thus far, making it quite clear, he didn't approve of this spontaneous trip in the least. 

   Elsie glanced at him distastefully and refocused on the road ahead. The Serpents had ensured the roadways connecting the brothers territories were safe for the family's travels beforehand, a few of the senior members riding before and behind the cherry red Range Ranger as it sped across Gotham's grey skied streets.

"Because you need to get over this slump you're in this will be a distraction and secondly, he's your brother, your twin brother. I truly believe you're the only one can get through to him. Hasn't there been studies on twin telepathy or something?"

Jerome stared at her, eyebrows furrowed as though she had grown a second head. "I really do think a combination of his gas and that vat really made you crazier than me, because you honestly talk some shit that even I can't understand." He shook his head, looking out the window miserably.

"Hey, language!" She tutted and Jerome blanched.

"They're babies, they won't remember any of this conversation!" Jerome pouted, and craned his neck to the backseat where babies were dozing in their car seats, admittedly looking like two chubby cheeked cherubs.

"They're never too young to learn." Elsie retorted, only to be severe with more of Jerome's grumbles.

"That's true, I think my Ma had that problem with me, Pops kept cursing all the time so much that I actually think my first word was 'shit'" Terry mused from beside Lacy, smiling down at the baby girl.

  "Remind also why we brought Italian Jason Dean along with us?" Jerome cocked a brow and Elsie rolled her eyes. Terry was in the back seat with the twins, along with Bud and Lou who had their heads on his lap, their large forms taking half of the foot room.

  "His aunt is a psychiatrist, maybe she can help Jeremiah." Elsie explained and Jerome scoffed, crossing his legs.

"Yeah, help him figure out why he insists on acting like a metrosexual while he shares my face." He cackled, slapping his knee.

"Jay......" Elsie fought her own laughter. She liked Jeremiah she did, but his insistence on wearing that damn lipstick.......

"You two are very mean you know that?" Terry popped her head between the seats, blowing a bubble obnoxiously in Jerome's ear and popping it.

"If you're gonna gag along and chew gum, you might as well share." Jerome pouted and Terry sighed as he pulled out another wrapped piece of gum, handing it to the redhead who smirked over at his wife.

   "I'm dying to meet ya brother. If he's half as cute as you I might take a run at him." Terry laughed as Jerome gagged and Elsie pushed the dark seed of jealousy that was planted from growing at the very idea of Terry touching Jeremiah.

"I don't know, he's already got a crazy blonde watchdog with him and Ecco would tear your head off. Only reason she hasn't killed baby doll over here is because Jeremiah is obsessed with her." Jerome jabbed his thumb towards his wife.

"Oooh, that might be interesting to toy with. Thanks for the heads up Jay." Terry quickly (and had one blinked  they would have missed it) kissed Jerome's cheek and he pulled out a switch blade form his pocket, but Elsie grabbed it out of his hand before he could attempt to stab Terry in the hand.

"Are we there yet?" Jerome whined for the eight time, fifteen minutes later and it took all her willpower for Elsie not to slam on the brakes and let his head bang against the dashboard.

"Yes, we're here." She spoke through gritted teeth, watching as two of Jeremiah's brainwashed lackeys opened the gate to the current building Jeremiah was no doubt occupying.

"Lovely, a family reunion and it's not even 9pm." Jerome sarcastically laughed, and scowled at the building as though it had personally offended him.

"Please be on your best behavior for me?" Elsie tilted his chin up, stroking the side of his face.

"........Only for you. But if he pisses me off......." Jerome let the threat hang and was delighted as she beamed, leaning in to kiss him, only to be knocked out of the way by Bud who proceeded to give Jerome sloppy kisses through the space between their seats.

"Ugh! Get off of me you damn dog!" Jerome tried in vain to get the predator off of him, instead succeeding in getting Lou's attention also and the two hyenas barking laughs and Jerome's angry yells were all that could be heard as Elsie opened her car door.

Staring up at the apartment building, she walked to the back of the car, and lifted one of the baby carrier's out, Harley grabbing the other.

"You are you want to do this curls?" Terry asked, dark eyes searching the young woman's face.

"It's now or never Terry."