Chapter 17

Elsie watched Jeremiah lift his ungloved hand and trace over her features. He concentrated as he traced her, skill in drawing was something they shared, and it appeared as though he was memorizing her features.

  "You are truly something from grace." He spoke quietly and her lips twitched into a small smile.

    After their dance, Jeremiah's next request was simple enough. He wanted them to lay together in his bed. Nothing that would ruin her morals (any worse than they had already been ruined). She questioned his request, to which he simply cupped the side of her face remarking:

   "I'm tired of being alone. It's awful to be alone all the time."

So that was how Elsie found herself, still dressed in her dinner gown, feet bare while her legs were pressed against Jeremiah's, while their chests were meters apart.

"I don't think there is anything left from me to be even considered graceful." Her bitter response caused him to frown and lift her hands so that they were covered by his.

"Elsie, you really don't see how good you are? You're trying to save this rotted city by disposing of the trash, you're trying to make this world better for your children.....You've helped so many people and taught me to love and know what love is. You truly are an angel." He lifted her hands to his mouth, pressing a kiss to her knuckles.

"I'm so tired though Miah... I'm so tired of the fighting. Of the killing. I know that I'm the only one that can dispose of the filth, but a part of me misses the ignorance. The bliss of being unaware of truly what life's meaning is..." she lowered her gaze and felt Jeremiah pull her closer.

"No, no......never regret the gift I gave you of clarity. Now you see the truth. You're safer, the children are safer having a mother who knows what truly is right from wrong, that cruelty is a matter of perspective." He cooed, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"It's so hard though...." she didn't mean to whimper, but unlike Jerome, Jeremiah's attention didn't waver as fast.

"I know darling, I know. But you have me. I'm the only one who truly understands you, who thinks like you. You need to understand that whatever happens in the future; you can always come to me. Always dear heart." He searched her eyes understanding and relaxed once she nodded.

"Thank you." Jeremiah beamed, kissing her forehead before Eskimo kissing her with a beam.

"I'd do anything for you, Elsie. You, Bruce and the twins are my entire world." He sighed blissfully as she tucked her head in the crook of his neck tiredly.

  Elsie stroked the furry backs of her wolves who curled around her, bumping their heads and flanks against her legs as she approached her home.

   The pack had appeared on the edge of the woods about a mile before her house and she had gotten out of her car to greet them. She missed them, and the smell of the earth on their fur was a painful reminder of the life she left behind.

"It was good to see you guys, but I've got an expecting husband at home who's probably going to start shooting his followers in a minute if I'm not home soon," one of the wolves pressed their head into her hand and she scratched behind her ear before waving them off.

  She watched as they disappeared back into the woods, a piece of her spirit longing to follow.

  The first thing she did once she arrived at the lake house, was take a shower, Jerome was very territorial and he wouldn't want a trace of his sibling on her, even if all they had done was dance.

After changing into some sweat pants and a tank top, she headed straight to Jason's room, immediately going to her son's side as he sat up in bed, having Bessy help him eat a bowl of soup.

Jerome never permitted soup in the house after what had happened at the diner, so he must not have seen Bessy cooking it.

   "Mommy!" Jason cries happily once he caught sight of her and Bessy flinched, looking down at the bowl and Elsie in fear mixed with the assurance that she had returned safely.

"Elsie, I know Jerome doesn't like soup in the house, but Jason's been so sick and he can't keep solids down-" Elsie placed her hand on the older woman's shoulder, "It's alright Bessy, we'll keep it between us." She reassured and the woman relaxed.

   "Right, he's about finished, so I'll take this downstairs to get it washed up. It's so good to have you home dear." Bessy beamed, pulling the younger woman into a half hug. Once the other woman had left, Elsie smiled lovingly down at her son, running her fingers through his dark silky hair.

"Hi baby, you feeling better now?" She moved to sit next to him at the headboard, letting Jason curl into her side.

"A little... Mommy, where did you go?" Jason blinked his large eyes at her and she pursed her lips deciding her words carefully.

"I had to see your uncle about something my love." She rubbed Jason's arm, noting he appeared to be thinner than before.....rationing food was becoming more and more scarce as time went by...... A pang went through her heart. She'd go hunting the next day, even if she only caught a few rabbits, it was food for her child.

"Uncle Miah?!" Jason became excited at the mention of his favorite (and only) uncle. It was no secret Jason adored Jeremiah, much to Jerome's displeasure.

"Yeah, Uncle Miah... but don't worry Jasey, I'm all yours now. Mommy's going to take care of you." She cooed, leaning down to rub noses with him.

"And is Mommy willing to take care of me?" She looked up from her son to see Jerome leaning on the doorway, a smirk and dangerous glint in his eyes.

  "Maybe later, I need my precious sweet baby boy right now." Elsie pulled Jason closer snuggling him. Jerome smiles fondly at the sight.

"I need to talk to ya for a minute..." he wasn't asking. It was only after she tore herself from Jason, and the door was closed, that she faced her husband.

"I don't want to know what happened at his place. But tell me one single thing," Jerome's hands came to cup her face, grip tighter than she preferred "did he touch you."

   Looking him directly in the eye, Elsie uttered a simple word.

  "No."