Chapter 8

The next morning, Elsie awoke to the sound of Jerome's slightly scratchy breathing, quite different to the sound of birds chirping she'd become accustomed to int he woods.

   She tilted her head to look up at him and smiled. Lifting up a hand, she gently ran her knuckles over his cheek and he subconsciously leaned into the touch. Under the sunlight that peeked through the curtains, the new ring placed on her right middle finger sparkled.

  She gazed at it, though extremely beautiful with Swarovski crystals, the rose-shaped ring only served as a reminder of the man who had given it to her:

  Jeremiah.

  He'd left the ring in a small velvet case, and it was a wonder that Jerome hadn't exited the bathroom first and saw it. Most likely he'd throw a fit and chase down his brother and shove the ring down his throat.

  There had been a note with only five words that were burned into her subconscious before she proceeded to rip the paper and throw it away.

  'I missed you, welcome home💜'

  Jerome assumed it was just one of the many pieces of jewelry his wife possessed and for the time being and foreseeable future, Elsie would prefer for it to stay that way.

  A sudden sharp pain that traveled from her forehead down to her neck had her clamber out of bed careful not to wake her husband.

   She moved into their walk-in closet, closing the doors behind her and looked in into the floor length mirror. Beside her reflection of herself in silky lingerie, stood the shadow of something dark. Something truly unholy. Something she dared not to identify aloud. Though no audible sound came from its mouth, it's voice, or at least, it's attempt at a voice rang clear as day in her head. It has been weeks since she had first heard it, but it still managed to completely send knives through her back, and make her stomach twist in uncomfortable knots.

  "Tomorrow night you begin the hunt."

  "Tomorrow? But... I just got home..." She stammered but one strict glare had her bowing her head in submission.

  "You survived because you have a purpose, this purpose proceeds everything else."

  "My family comes first." Elsie hissed and the woman narrowed her eyes.

  "Your mate is not loyal."

"What're you talking about?" Elsie glanced at Jerome quickly before returning her gaze to the mirror.

  "Check underneath your bedding." And with that, as quickly as she blinked the shadow was gone.

  Bending down, she techs blindly under the bed frame. There were a few dust bunnies, a sketch pencil she just had dropped how many months ago, a few of Ace's chew toys......

  No........

  No...

    Elsie slammed her head against the frame, cursing loudly as she crawled out and she heard Jerome clamber out of bed himself and rest his hand on her back and it burned.

  "Elsie? Babe, what're you doing down there?" Jerome flinched as something was thrown in his face.

  "What is that?" She asked quietly as Jerome held the garment, his eyes slowing brief confusion before widening in realization.

  "You know, it's actually a really funny story...." He began to chuckle but her glare quickly shut that up, "now before you start shooting, I can explain...."