chapter six: cartier bracelets, whoreshippers and screeches

Aspen's P.O.V

I stare at my phone in disbelief. Ethan hung up on me? That's a first. I look in my side mirrors and I catch a glimpse of the wealthy neighborhood where Tiffany lived. Stupid rich people. Well, not like it bothers me anymore  because Ethan was just as rich as Tiffany. I'm not a gold digger or anything but this new Cartier bracelet that just came out and I'm stuck with the one Ethan bought me from last year. I know for a fact Tiffany's going to be the first girl in school to get it as usual but this year I plan on beating her to it.   

When I got home, I rushed to my room to get ready for bed. I turn on my Macbook Air, another gift from Ethan, and I go on the Cartier website. I lose myself looking at the gorgeous bracelets for almost half an hour. I wistfully look at the one I want, not being able to bring myself to look at the price tag.

"Aspen Nicole Smith what in tarnation are you looking at?!" I turn around, seeing my mother glaring right back at me.

"Mom relax it's just some bracelets I want." I reply

"Aspen, you know your father and I can't afford those kinds of bracelets. Cartier ones at that!" she scolds.

"But mom you know you want one! We can even share one. Please mom can you just see what you can do about the money?" I plead. "Just this one bracelet mom, I won't ask for anything else this year."

"Now you listen here Aspen, your father and I won't buy you a ten thousand when we can't even afford the one you have," she gestures to the bracelet on my wrist, "right now! And it's half the price as the one you're looking at! Your boyfriend had to buy it for you last time, that says enough Aspen, end of discussion." she replies with finality lacing her voice as she leaves my room. I slam my door, making sure it's loud so she knows I'm upset with her. I grab my pillow and I scream into it. Why can't my family be rich like Ethan and Tiffany? Why can't my mom just buy me this one bracelet? Why can't I beat Tiffany at something, just once? I fall asleep, hot white anger bubbling under my skin.

I wake up to the annoying sound to my alarm clock. Time to get ready for school. I walk over to my closet, which in my opinion isn't big enough. I bet Tiffany has a fucking walk-in closet, filled with fucking designer clothes worth more than my house. Once I get ready I look over my outfit in the mirror. I stare at my reflection resentfully, why can't I have more expensive clothes? I receive a text from Ethan, which is a big surprise considering our fight last night. Wait. This might be a good thing! I could make up with him, and convince him to get me the bracelet! I eagerly read the text over.

"I'm outside."

I reply quickly.

"Ok."

I throw my backpack over my shoulder and I run out the door, locking it on the way. I automatically spot Ethan's black Range Rover in my driveway. I enter the car, my hands touching the familiar leather interior. I throw my bag in the back seat and I place my seatbelt on. Once I'm all settled in I turn and I face Ethan. He smiles tightly at me.

"Hey." I decided to be the bigger person and start a civil conversation. He glances at me for at least five seconds before starting the car.

"Good morning Aspen." He replies with. Why is he all of a sudden acting like he has a stick shoved up his ass? The majority of the car ride is spent in awkward silence, with both of us staring at the road in front.  

''I'm sorry for being a bitch yesterday.'' I said, trying to break the ice. He stays silent for a couple of moments before he turns to look at me.

"It's fine." he replies curtly.

I look at him weirdly. Whatever. I'll drop this issue for now, I need a bracelet to get by this week.

"So, our anniversary is coming up soon." I casually bring up, attempting to hide the excitement in my voice. Ethan always went over the top with my gifts. He'll probably get me a lot more than just this bracelet.

"Yeah it is, why are you bringing this up?" he questions weirdly

"Well, I've been looking at this bracelet for a couple of weeks by now and I was wondering if you could maybe get it for me?"  

"Depends." He says as he pulls into the school parking lot.

"Depends on what Ethan? You never had a problem spending money on me before, why now?" I ask him obviously aggravated.

"Depends how much it costs Aspen. I don't exactly have unlimited money." He snaps back at me.

"You might as well have unlimited money Ethan! Your family is filthy rich, all I'm asking for is this one little bracelet." I reply back defensively. Ethan never snapped at me before. He must be really mad.

"I'm over this conversation Aspen. We'll figure it out later." He answers tiredly as he steps out of the car. I follow him quickly.

"Ethan we're not done tal-," I'm cut off by Tiffany as she steps out of her car, her bag in hand. I glare at her designer heels as they make contact with the concrete sidewalk. All of Tiffany's slutty friends (or whoreshippers) immediately spots Tiffany and runs over to her, well as fast as you can run in heels.

"Oh my gosh Tiffany is that what I think it is?" Slut one gasps.

Tiffany stares at her weirdly. "What are you talking about Brooklyn?"

Slut two and three lets out a loud screech that could be heard from the other side of the school. Tiffany herself covers her ears alongside with everyone else in the parking lot.

"Oh my gosh Amber and Ella be quiet, everyone's staring at us now." Tiffany says harshly, turning a vibrant shade of red.

Slut one, whose name is apparently Brooklyn, glares at everyone in the parking lot until they all look away. Once everyone stops staring they turn back to Tiffany excitement gleaming in all their eyes. Slut three, whose name is Ella, grabs Tiffanys wrist and examines her bracelet. I gasp. She did not dare. I feel my cheeks turning a darker shade of red than Tiffany earlier. I grip my backpack straps so hard my knuckles turn white.

"Oh my gosh, the new Cartier bracelet is so much prettier in person!" Amber gasps. Their entire group chatters excitedly, all taking turns looking at the bracelet up close.

"My dad bought like four of these, who does he think I am Kylie Jenner?  It's sooo tacky when people stack them. I honestly have no idea what to do with th-," Tiffany cuts off her sentence suddenly. "Oh my gosh. Why didn't I think of this before? I'll give them to you guys, we can all match!" The entire group all shriek.

"Oh my gosh Tiffany, you're the best!" Brooklyn gushes. I dig my fingernails into the palm of my hand. Stupid rich people and their need to buy excessive amounts of crazy expensive things. Tiffany then spots me, a smirk growing on her face.

"What's wrong Aspen? Couldn't get the bracelet before me?" the rest of the group let out obnoxious giggles. "Looks like you'll have to settle for second, again."

I grit my teeth, about to throw an insult at her. Before I could, Amber steps in. "Tiffany you know that's not fair." all of them stare at her, did Amber actually just stand up for me? "You know she didn't even buy the one she's wearing right now, Ethan did." she sneered. I roll my eyes. Of course Amber would pull a dirty move like that. They all let out loud laughs and smirk at me.

"Tiffany, tell your whores to back off." Ethan steps in. Tiffany and him stare at each other for a couple of moments, as if they were speaking silently. Everyone's eyes flicker back and forth from Tiffany to Ethan and then back to me.

"So now you step in? What a great boyfriend." Tiffany rolls her eyes. "Let's go guys, we don't have time for people that don't even own a single piece from Chanel." Tiffany speaks as she rakes her eyes over my outfit.

What a bitch.