chapter sixteen: bagels, bad days and falling outs

I rip my fuzzy blanket off, yanking the charger out of my phone before turning off the alarm. Dashing to the bathroom, I apply some nose strips before brushing teeth and doing my hair. After deciding on a white lace romper and a pair of black strappy ankle heels, I apply my usual makeup. I hear my phone vibrate on my vanity table and I accept the call.

"Hey." It was Ella.

"Morning." I say while applying some red lipstick.

"Wanna get Starbucks with Amber and I, like right now?"

"I'm lazy. But get me a bagel?" I smile at the mirror, satisfied with my work.

I hear Ella sigh loudly into the phone. "Fine. Oh my gosh, my dad surprised me with, guess what?"

My eyes nearly roll to the back of my head. "That Cartier bracelet you wanted?"

"No! You got me one remember? Keep guessing!" Ella squeals, clearly excited to brag about her latest gift.

"A pair of Louboutins? "

"Yes! It was to make up for not being there for my birthday." Again, I roll my eyes while staring at myself in the mirror as Ella continues babbling about it. My parents missed Thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday. Where was my apology gift?

I interrupt her yammering before she could talk my ear off. "Where is Brooklynn?

Ella pauses for a moment. "Good question! Maybe she's with Blake if you know what I mean." I immediately dry heave as she mentions Blake. Gross.

After hanging up on Ella, I run down the stairs to grab my smoothie that Camilla prepared in my special cup as usual, sipping it as I start my car. Instead of the usual purr of the engine, I hear a clicking sound.

No. No. No. No. This can't be happening to me. I jam my keys back into the starter and turn it. Every time I turn my keys a clicking sound welcomes me. I open my door and I throw my smoothie down in frustration. The blueberry and raspberry drink spills all over my shoes. My beautiful expensive shoes. My beautiful expensive car. After releasing an animistic screech I run back to the doors, knocking angrily, feeling the drink in the soles with every movement. Another pair that will have to be thrown away.

Camilla opens the door and gives me a strange look. "Tiffany hun bun why aren't you leaving ye-," I storm past her, seating down on one of the bottom steps to throw the ruined heels on the floor beside her, and I run up the stairs, leaving smoothie bits on the cherry wood.

I throw my closet door open, grabbing the nearest strappy black heels. I wipe my feet and I put them on. Not the best, but they still cost more than all of Aspen's entire closet. I run down to the garage and grab the Range Rover keys hanging on the rack. Thank god my dad was an excessive spender. I start the car up, glancing at the time before freaking the hell out. I speed out of the driveway and all the way to school into my special parking space. Turning my phone on, the time 7:50 blasted across the screen. Made it just in time. As soon as my heel hits the pavement, Ella and Amber come running to me with their drinks in one hand, both wrists drowning in jewelry.

"Tiffany! Tiffany! I have your bagel, with garlic cream cheese just how you like it." Ella says, shooting me a smile as bright as her necklace. I nod and accept the bagel, not before sensing a menacing presence on my right. On instinct, I glance over, only to meet Aspen and Ethan sitting with Aspen's friends. I don't know their names, but just by looking I can tell their into the whole goth scene. Weird.

"You're not driving your usual G-Wagon." I tear my eyes away from the two and look back at Amber.

"It broke down. I'm thinking of upgrading too."