chapter 18: snot, secrets and polos

Tiffany's POV *lots of swearing and slurs*

I stare back at Brooklynn's unwavering glare, my entire mouth growing increasingly dry. I open my mouth to hopefully stammer out any kind of smart Tiffany-like remarks, only to be interrupted by an unknown heckler.

"Watch out! She's gonna blow!"

"What's going on here?" Amber says loudly at the same time Ethan comes in, both walking in from two different entrances to join Brooklynn and company. The tension in the air goes up another notch, if that was even possible to begin with.

One of her eyebrows rise up and her leg was shaking. "Well?"

Brooklynn turns to the curious crowd. "Everyone get back to your lunches, this is now a private matter. But I have a feeling there will be waterworks soon after." Aspen gives her a sly sideway glance.

"Ella? Brooklynn?" Amber faces her two former friends, her perfectly drawn eyebrows creased together, her lips turned downwards. "What the hell did you guys do? I was in the middle of a cheerleader meeting and I get a bunch of texts from your brother to come to the cafeteria as soon as possible. Care to explain?"

Ella's blonde head whips to her cousin, I mean brother. They look nothing alike. "Eaton texted you? What the fuck?"

"And I'm sitting right here Ella. Maybe all that hair dye is getting to you." He says, placing his book down. If I wasn't such a torn hot mess, I would have properly thanked him for bringing possibly the only two people that actually wanted to stand up for me.

"I thought we agreed to never talk about that!" Ella shrieks at the same time Brooklynn says "You can leave now, freak."

Eaton simply leans back on his chair, phone on his stomach. "And miss this? No chance."

I knew this would piss Brooklynn off. She hated it when her victims fought back, which they rarely did. I was proven right as soon as her eyes narrowed.

"Don't you have friends to get back to? Oh wait." She fakes a sympathetic look. "You don't have any faggot." *

"Hey!" Amber and Ella say at the same time. "Leave him alone!" They gave each other glances filled with nostalgia and remorse. Clearly they missed each other.

"Amber you fucking blonde, did you not think to open my text message before Eaton's?" Brooklynn returns her gaze to me. "I think it'll explain everything you need to know."

"You know," She walks around my chair and takes the seat next to it. "I'm surprised you're holding up this well Tiffany. I was kinda expecting the whole 'how could you' and crying. Would have made this so much more fun."

"Not that it already wasn't" Aspen drags a chair from a different table and places it on my other side, taking the seat. She offers me a devious smile.

Brooklynn picks around my fruit salad, popping a melon ball into her mouth."I mean, I can't say I'm surprised you wouldn't feel any remorse almost ruining the perfect couple. Right Ethan?"

"If you're looking for a reaction. you aren't getting any from me." I say, my voice dry and hoarse, a tell tale sign I was about to burst into tears. Brooklynn being my best friend since kindergarten obviously knew this, her glossy lips perking up into another smirk.

"How the fuck did you guys get pictures of me in my own room? That's fucking nuts! And I'm pretty sure illegal." My shaky voice says, attempting to scare them.

Aspen's eyebrows shoot up, her body tensing up immediately. Brooklynn on the other hand, maintains her composure and even lights up in excitement, as if she's been waiting for me to say this the entire time.

"Aspen came to me, telling me the truth between Blake and you, all flirty like at Ella's party when I was right next to him. Right next to him! All the hookups while we were together, heck she even told me that you guys hooked up the day he asked me to be official." Brooklynn spits, her amusement fading away.

"That's not even true! At the party he was the one com-," I begin, before getting cut off.

"And she didn't just come with the truth between you two, no she came with evidence that clearly showed you trying to get with Ethan on the same night!" Brooklynn says, gesturing to Ethan and Blake who was on the other side of the cafeteria, looking at our table curiously.

My eyebrows furrow. "I stopped caring what bullshit Aspen has been feeding you since you obviously won't believe me. At this point, I'm just worried how you got pictures of me in my room which, I'll say it again, is illegal and fucking creepy."

"Sure it's illegal. That's what Aspen was worried about. But that's where I came in. Unless you want me to tell everyone that your mom slept around while she was still married, contracted HIV and now leads the life of a sickly middle class tramp who lives off your dad's monthly alimony, you'll keep your mouth shut."

I can't believe she would ever dream of telling everyone my darkest family secrets. Why would she go so low? My palms are stinging from my nailing digging in, the pain reminding me to keep my composure, assuring myself if I kept quiet, she would eventually 

Amber steps in. "That's pushing it. "

She scoffs. "Amber you knew that we were gonna publicly humiliate her so you can stop with the innocent act."

I whip my head to face her, shock plastered all over her face. She obviously wasn't expecting being outed."You knew about this?"

"Yes but Tiffany I swear I didn't know it would be this bad and illegal. I had no part in it, you've got to believe me." Amber says, desperation seeping through her voice. Soon enough she would burst into tears and ruin her makeup. Good.

I struggle to contain my breathing, a few tears have probably leaked out by now, with even more to come.

Aspen playfully nudges me with her elbow. "But you know who did? Ethan!"

My jaw drops and I immediately begin getting chest pains. The tears are coming out faster now, a wave of snot quick to follow. How could I have been so stupid? All those times he came over and went to the washroom upstairs, how he randomly wanted to hang out with me and when his devotion to Aspen randomly dissipated.

"The little thing is crying!" Brooklynn laughs as if she was watching her favorite show. "How adorable. Don't tell me you thought Ethan actually wanted to get back together did you?"

That did it for me. I grabbed my leather backpack and ran out, tears in my eyes and snot running down my chin.

"Tiffany! Tiffany wait up!" A masculine voice called out. My lungs froze up, could it be? I turned around, ready to give Ethan a piece of my mind when I came face to face with Blake.

Yuck.

He looks at my face and runny mascara with something reminiscent to pity in his eyes.

"I'm really sorry about coming on to you all the time." Blake says, rubbing his nape. "And for telling everybody I was hooking up with you. I really didn't think it would get back to Brooklynn."

I choke on my sobs at the mention of her name. Without even thinking, I run over to Blake, burying my face into his chest his cologne washing over my senses and continuing to sob, allowing the warmth of his body to comfort me, just like he did so many times while Ethan was pursuing Aspen while we were still dating.

"Gross!" Blake roughly shoves me off. "You got snot all over my Gucci polo!"

I sniffle a bit and dab at my nose. He looks at me with those pity filled eyes once more and awkwardly pats my head.

"It will all work itself out."