chapter eleven: twisted

11 | twisted 

YORK's POV

It was my first time to see a guy cry... well, a grown man. My dad has never cried in front of me before. To tell you honestly, the last time I saw one cry was back in my nursery days.

But here he was. There was clearly pain in his eyes.

“Ni…” I said, trailing off.

“York, she’s---she’s in there, and there’s nothing I can do," he said, almost choking on his words.

My heart was wrenching in pain.

Who did this to her? My best friend! She’s sweet, thoughtful and so kind! She didn’t deserve to be in that operating room!

It has been four hours since they contacted us concerning her car accident. The driver of a black Rover hit her car badly and at least the driver had the right mind to bring her to the hospital. We were still waiting for the driver to show up. They said that he needed to make some calls.

Liam was talking to the other lads so I just looked at Niall, speechless. His hair was a mess (although, he still looked good) and his eyes.. his blue eyes lost some of its sparkle. He clutched the hem of his red polo shirt until his knuckles turned white. I touched his hand gently. I wanted to say something to make him feel better, but I couldn't, because deep inside, I grieved too.

The whole floor was on lockdown so that the fans wouldn’t go screaming for One Direction or anything. Only the best doctor and nurses stayed. He went this far for her… maybe, he loved her already. I swallowed hard. My heart suddenly felt being wrenched in pain. What did my heart feel again? This was so stupid, damn it.

I turned my thoughts back to Isla. I called her dad and he was on his way. Apparently, he approved of Niall’s decision to have the whole floor on lockdown.

“He’s a good lad, I think,” He told me over the phone.

My heart felt heavier every second that passed. I walked back and forth but as soon as I sat down, my eyes gave out. I sobbed silently but Niall enclosed me in his embrace and patted the top of my head once in a while. As soon as I heard footsteps, I saw Liam and the other chaps pop out. They just came from the nearby vending machine and Zayn handed out some coffee.

The sound of cans opening was the only things that filled the air. I gulped down my caffeine and everyone did the same. My eyes stared at the red light that was still on. This was getting on my nerves. I was frustrated, anxious and angry! But after a few seconds, it turned to green and the doctor came out.

All of us stood up to get the news from the doctor but Niall maintained his position. He stared at his empty coffee can. I studied the face of the doctor and it was unreadable, but I saw some pain his eyes.

What was going on?

“What happened, doctor?” Louis spoke up.

My heart started racing and I gripped Liam’s hand. He held mine firmly but instead of the warmth I was so used to, it was cold. Was he scared for me as well?

“Lads, miss, she’s--- her condition’s not good. She’s in a coma,” He started.

I felt weak in my knees and I swore to god that I drowned out all the noise. I wasn't able to concentrate on anything else except on the words Isla and coma.

Isla.

Coma.

Isla.

Coma.