Chapter Five

Above, my rendition of Warrior.

Warrior strolled next to Shawna easily. "Are challenges conducted differently today, Shawna? Have I done it wrong?"

"You did it exactly as you should have. I'm here to make you a bargain."

The man gloated as they walked to Shawna's office. A dull room with one desk and three wooden, unforgiving chairs. She had a pendulum to keep time on her desk. A guard entered behind them, lit the torches and the oil lamp.

When he exited and closed the door behind him, Warrior said, "Are you worried about your son, Shawna?"

"What do you want?"

"It's good to see you again, Shawna."

"It was never a pleasure, Warrior," irritation lacing her voice.

"Your skin is still of the brown hues of the earth and glows with beauty."

Shawna rolled her eyes. "Why do you challenge the Son of Thunder?"

"I was in a country over the water and I heard of a child-warrior who was invincible. I came to see for myself."

"He's not invincible, but he is the most skilled fighter in this land. He always bests Beast."

"If I remember Beast, that's not too difficult."

Shawna narrowed her eyes and growled. "Beast is one of the best fighters I've worked with."

"Am I the best?"

Shawna didn't answer.

"You at least think I'm better than your son?"

Her mouth pursed. Her vision blurred as she stared mutely at the stone floor. "It's not worth the risk."

"Would you do anything to keep me from fighting him?"

Shawna's skin crawled. She refused to give Warrior the satisfaction of a response. She pulled away from him, but Warrior only drew closer. He sat back and gave a hearty laugh. Shawna grit her teeth, her mouth bent into a frown. Her arms were folded across her chest and her legs were crossed. The point of her boot was aimed at Warrior, ready to kick.

Warrior reposed in his seat, took a deep breath. He knelt before Shawna, took her hand, but she jerked it away. He steeled himself, forced himself to continue. "I love you. All I want is to share your soul."

"Never."

Warrior hesitated, mourned the quick refusal, looked away before he rose to his feet. He stared at the ground, his eyes glassy. If he couldn't have her, then an object that he could hold to his breast, cradle as he slept and dreamt of her, that would satisfy him.

His eyes traveled her body. She had two kinsashes. Human hair of her blood. One was sagging around her waist, the other was around her forehead, holding her bangs out of her eyes. Though she was of the dark skinned people, her mother's pale blood had given her straight hair and her bangs continually had to be managed. She always wore one of the kinsashes as a headband. To hug the hair of her kin to his chest would bring him comfort.

"The sash at your waist."

Shawna growled at him, showed him her straight teeth.

"You have two." He indicated the one at her forehead. "You can have many made just like this one. You cannot replace your son."

"The Son is the only member of my kin who breathes. I cannot have another made."

Warrior lifted his hand to pacify Shawna. It was a blunder on his part. He had not considered that he was parting her from all she had left of her family. His fault for not realizing the sacrifice he was requesting.