Chapter 53

"Lightening, at least try to sleep." Rhysya rubbed her hand over his chest. "You'll be exhausted tomorrow. Please."

The room was grayish as dawn approached. Why bother now? he thought.

"Lightening, the Wolfdrums," she said.

"Yesterday you didn't think the Wolfdrums were a threat."

"I didn't know. You can't hate me for what I didn't know."

Lightening rolled to his side, his back to her. He could hate her for whatever reason he pleased and that one was just as good as any.

"Lightening, you're trying to kill yourself. You're putting everyone in Valley of the Star in danger."

"The Wolfdrums are going to take Thundonia," he snarled. "Valley will be next. You owe it to them. We saved your people when the Acidonians attacked. Where is your loyalty?"

"I don't understand why you can't just stay here." Rhysya's eyes were wet and she sat up on bed. "Why can't you just pretend that this never happened?"

Lightening's mouth was ajar. He got up, started dressing. "The callousness you must harbor for Thundonia, toward me, to suggest that."

"Lightening, I speak to your rationale. Shawna is dead. You can't save her. You can't save Thundonia. Don't risk your life. Please."

"Shawna is not dead." He jabbed and thrust at his garments. "I will not let you put her in her grave. And I will not put her to rest until I myself am cut down."

Rhysya pulled the sheets tighter around her. "Please. Why won't you consider it? Why won't you think about staying here?"

"I can't."

"No. You could. No one would know. We wouldn't have to tell them who you are. No one would ever guess."

"What you're asking me to do is more than wear a facade, Rhysya. I can't do that. I can't abandon my people."

Rhysya threw the covers off and grabbed her robe. She couldn't hear anymore. She knelt next to the stream and threw water on her face, not even realizing she was outside. She was tired. Too tired to argue with him. Why couldn't he see it her way for once?

Fatelle crouched beside her. "You are troubled."

"Why can't he be happy? It's safe here. The walls will protect him." She punched the surface of the stream.

"The walls would close around him and suffocate him. He may have the symbol of the Star on his hand, but this is not his way. His temper would be frustrated here."

"I know that too, but—" Rhysya started.

Fatelle touched her arm. "He feels helpless. It's not easy for him."

"I know that too." Rhysya swam her fingers in the water. "Am I selfish for wanting my husband near me?"

"No."

"Lightening thinks I am."

Fatelle chuckled. Rhysya found the sound disconcerting. "He is bound, as you are, by duty. He is Thundonia."

The sky had changed from dusky purple to rich pink. Eternity strode up the walk. "Where's Lightening?"

Rhysya shook her head. She got up and drifted away.

Eternity beckoned Fatelle. "If Thundonia falls, I will not embrace him."

"Then you are a fool. But they have other troubles more important than their own. Rhysya is only beginning to understand." Fatelle walked along the bank. Her steps were deliberate and steady. Grudgingly, Eternity followed her. "We must arrive at Thundonia promptly. Trouble will stir again soon. Lightening must also be prepared."