Chapter Forty-One

Magpie touched Lightening's birthcross at her throat. It had the name Rasha etched into the silver on the back. Lightening always wore his mother's. She tugged at the robe. It wasn't terribly short on her, but it hung because Lightening was so much broader than she was. Many people strolled along grassy lanes and the huts were suited to mild weather, could not have withstood any grand disaster.

Magpie held the skirt of Lightening's robe in her hand as she climbed down the side of the hill. She was careful not to slip into the stream. Magpie liked having a bauble about her neck, even if it was a Star Child trinket. She wandered to the platform and stood next to some other Star Children, but was wary of being too close.

"Hello," a tall Star Child said to her. He wasn't as tall as she, but he was close. His eyes were funny. "I haven't met you before."

She ignored him.

"I used to know all the Star Children," he said, "but since the war with Acidonia, so many Thundonians have married into the regime, I've lost track."

Magpie smiled, tried to face forward.

"I'm trying to relearn all the faces."

She was wary, but she stayed where she was. No need to alarm him.

"You're newly initiated to Valley of the Star?" he asked.

"No."

He flinched. He had long, dark hair caressing his ears and inky black eyes with flecks of caramel. His skin was beige. Magpie glanced away, but couldn't silence curiosity.

"You're from the land of the people with the eyes, are you not?"

"My mother was."

She bobbed her head. "I've always been curious about that place. My father is part Jada." The Jada were from the East, but not as far east as the People of the Eyes. "I'm also part Clandellen."

"Clandellen are excellent marksmen," he said.

"Yes," she said, proud to be a member of that race. "Both my parents have blood of the Clandellen tribe. My mother is part Magdella as well."

"My wife is Magdella."

"Camilia?" Recognition dawned on her. "Then you're Yuanshi."

"You don't know me?"

"I should have realized," she said, shrinking under embarrassment. "I've only seen you from a distance."

Magpie wanted him to go away, but Yuanshi would not oblige her. She shouldn't have said so much. She didn't know why he lingered.

"You've neglected to mention your name."

Name? She hadn't considered that. "Maggale." Sounded as good as any.

"Maggale is true to the Clandellen tribe," he said. "You're married, I trust?"

"No."

He arched his eyebrow over that strange eye.

"I'm a cousin of a Star Child."

Lightening had advised her to stay as close to the truth as possible. Less to remember.

"He's showing me the ways of your Book."

"I see." His tone told her he did not.

Thankfully, Annadam came to her side and grabbed her arm. She kept her head bowed to Yuanshi. "Council, hello."

"I was just speaking to your cousin," his voice filled with suspicion.

"My husband's cousin," she said. "Forgive us. We must excuse ourselves."

She dragged Magpie away, but Yuanshi continued to watch them.

"What are you doing here?" she hissed. "You're too conspicuous among the others."

Annadam took Magpie to a cluster of Star Children who were mixed with former Thundonians. She blended in better with them.

"Magpie," Dark called. "How did you find your way in?"

"For today, it's Maggale," she said. She was in no mood to explain herself. Several knew her by reputation. Her hope was that her presence here didn't make news in Thundonia. "Please don't tell my family you saw me."

Annadam and Dark traded glances, but Dark agreed.

Fatelle was the first to appear on the platform. Her hair was tangled like a fire flicking in every direction. Her dress was a bleached pink, tight on her and missing a strap. Much of the dress was ripped. The girl didn't smile, though she was younger than Nile, approximately the age of Hobs.

Rhysya came onto the platform next, a bundle wrapped in her arms. Fatelle gave a few words, then she pulled out an instrument and tattooed the child's hand.

"Does that hurt the baby?"

Dark said, "Yes. The method is very painful, but lasting. My hand is not as leathery as Annadam's, but it is still difficult to cut."

Magpie leaned nearer to Dark. Little Rashana endured it well. Magpie would have squalled.

"Rashana shall be a great purest," Fatelle said. "Wise, working for peace, keeping the voices of the old alive in her heart."

The people started screaming and whooping. Magpie stopped her ears.

"Now we feast. Come," Annadam said.

"If you have no meat, it won't be a feast."

"Don't be so prejudiced, cousin," Dark said, taking her by the arm.

An elderly woman of forty-five annae or so pushed past them. She muttered, "Same prediction as Constana."

"It was true of Constana, Lona," Annadam said. "She worked for the integration of non-pure believers and tolerance of others."

"Father said it about Rasha too." She continued under her breath, "Rhysya was supposed to marry him. Faithless little retch. Can't blame her. Gotta have a successor. Don't agree with putting the purity symbol on the child. But I wouldn't argue with Fatelle about it either."

"Speaking of me?" Fatelle said. The sprite appeared out of nowhere. Had she not known better, Magpie would have thought her a mythical creature.

Lona hiccupped, "It wasn't bad."

Fatelle's face was placid. She didn't heed the elderly woman. She took Magpie's hand and drew her away from the others. "Good of you to come, Maggale. Tell him to appear in flesh next time, though I know he won't." The others were staring after them, trying to glean Fatelle's words.

"Tell him to be more patient. He thinks himself gorged with it, but he can temper more. He must have faith in his bride. Let him know that I love him and that he's welcome at my tent any time he likes. He'll know which it is. I trust he won't do that either," she said. 

Fatelle rested her chin on her hand.

Magpie said, "Is that all?"

"Also tell him I'll miss him. I won't see him for sometime."