Chapter Four

Yuanshi's escape from Thundonia was the topic of the address. Eternity stood before the elders. Rhysya was present at the conference, although she was not an elder and might not live long enough to become one. Eternity explained to her many times that it was necessary for her to attend. As purest of the Star Children, she would one day preside over these conferences. She would need to know how addresses were handled.

Rhysya was bored. All the words were drivel. Eternity went over announcements, gossip was passed around, the elders socialized. The only topic of any interest was Thundonia, the haven of evil. All the citizens of Valley of the Star agreed on that.

Of course, like the rest of them, she hungered for the day when she would be allowed to go to Thundonia. Only adults (men of thirteen, women of twelve) were permitted. They made pilgrimages once a phase to see the executions and they brought back the most lurid stories.

They told of how the Son of Thunder was put in the Playground and took his first kill on his eighth annum. He had stabbed a victim, twisted the knife in his side and pulled it out. He smiled with satisfaction as he licked the blade when he was ten. He was responsible for killing Father. Shawna had killed Constana the Great.

Rhysya imagined fights in the marketplace and men with welts all over their bodies accosting the Children. Blood was shed in Thundonia everyday and blood of the innocent was the favorite of these savages. The Son was the most wicked of all, because he'd been nursed amid the evil. She wouldn't believe that Yuanshi would risk his life to go there for chocolates or that Camilia welcomed the day when the Son would rule. She could only see ground crusted with blood in Thundonia.

No one cursed in Valley of the Star. No one fought, not even verbally. Not a cruel word was uttered in Valley, except about Thundonia. No one killed animals. All were strict vegetarians.

The people were lithe and agile. None were very tall. Yuanshi was the tallest and the strongest and he was a mix of natural and impure Star Children, his mother from the Eastern People of the Eyes. His wife, Camilia, was a specimen of womanhood. Her breasts were ample and her hips were wide. Rhysya envied her and wondered if her body would look like that when she was a woman.

Camilia had been the betrothed of the Son, but Rhysya didn't care. She was taken with her. Camilia had an undisturbed nature about her that was not like the Thundonia of stories and Rhysya wondered how such a radiant creature could come out of that hell. She couldn't understand why the Son of Thunder would refuse her.

"Boys are not interested in the bodies of women," was invariably Camilia's response.

"Did you love the Son? Could you love him?"

Camilia led Rhysya from the elders meeting. As Yuanshi's bride, she was also expected to attend, though she did so with more composure than Rhysya could muster.

"He was very lovable when he was not in the Playground. He was tragic to me," Camilia said. They reached Rhysya's wigwam cabin in the center of Valley. It was late in the year, one of the few times no flowers were blooming in Valley of the Star.

"The Son is fluid motion, especially when he's fighting. When he is equally matched, the spar is like a dance. His stance, the way he twirls. The muscles in his legs are fine. His clothing clings to his derriere. It makes women swoon."

"You didn't swoon over him," Rhysya said.

"He was the only brother I knew."

Rhysya let loose an airy sound. She was disturbed at the notion.

"The Son was three annae younger than me, but he was the only person close to my age in Thundonia. He was my only playmate. We were supposed to get married, but we didn't speak of it. He had no intention of going through with it."