Chapter Forty-Six

When Hawk would not answer her, she turned to Dark. Lightening had already guessed and tensed for the news. Magpie was grinding the tip of her staff into the ground, her head free of the malice others held for her. Even as he pitied her, Lightening laughed at her ignorance.

Annadam pressed her hand to Magpie's shoulder. "Canary is to marry." She watched Magpie for her reaction, but she only stared back at her with a sardonic smile on her face. His poor oblivious Magpie. "Torin."

Her smile slipped away. Dark stepped forward and steadied her.

"We've come to tell you the news gently," Annadam said.

"Canary yearned to parade it in front of you," Hawk squawked, casting his arm out. He marched in a circle and indicated the other two, "We three have come here to tell you that we aren't going to the wedding. Even if she invites me, I won't attend."

Magpie was a lost bird fluttering with a broken wing. She sought Lightening, but he couldn't comfort her here.

"It's very bad of them to do this," Dark said.

"They don't love each other," Annadam said. "I can't condone it."

"She finally lost patience last night and announced it at dinner," Hawk spit.

Magpie shook her head mutely. Language was a phantom art to her. Again, she searched for Lightening's assistance. He stood as near her as he dared. He longed to relieve her of her family, to release her from obligation to them.

Lightening said, rather than believed, "She may not invite you."

"Oh yes she will," Hawk said, nodding his head profusely, sparing her no injury. All in the family must have suffered from being brutally honest. "She wanted to flaunt the engagement. She wants to flaunt the wedding."

"You don't have to go," Annadam said.

She rocked on her heels, blind to the ground before her eyes.

"Your parents would understand," Dark said.

"Why?" she cried. Lightening willed himself not to embrace her. He put his hand over his mouth. "He knew," she screamed. She waved the staff in the air as she ranted, "Anyone but her. He could have married anyone else, I wouldn't have cared. He knew this would hurt me."

Lightening came toward her and she dropped back into a fighting stance, lifted the staff as a javelin. He held his hands up. "He's jealous, vengeful."

She turned her back on him and discarded the staff. She bent with her sobs. "But if he would listen—"

"Even if he did, Canary would have convinced him otherwise."

"Is she pregnant?" she demanded of Hawk.

"No," he said. "But she will be soon."

She screamed through clenched teeth. Tears were covering her face. Her mouth was agape. Her face was so twisted that Lightening couldn't recognize the venerable woman who had become his soul companion.

"Stop crying, Magpie." The Son of Thunder took over.

"You always tell me to cry," wiping her face with her fist.

"You won't cry for them," he ordered. "For your parents who love you and would never intentionally do you harm, yes, cry. For the people who misunderstand, but will come to know the truth, yes. But not for those who would ruthlessly reach out and strike you."

The coldness in his voice alone froze her tears.

"That's what they want. I forbid you to give it to them," he said. His eyes gleamed beneath the mask.