Chapter Twenty-Eight

Bastion rose from his seat at the sight of Rhysya in the distance. He gasped her name. He'd heard the rumors, but nothing had been announced.

"I have to find Shawna," she said, scuttling off the horse. Bastion came from around his station and helped her to the ground, tried to support her back. James came and took up his place. Rhysia said, "Lightening stayed behind. We have to go back for him."

She ran up the stairway behind Bastion. She'd never gone this way to the ruling wing. Guards sprang to their feet as she waddled past. She threw open Shawna's bedroom door. Spartanly decorated. Empty of life. Shawna nowhere. Rhysya started yelling for her, running down the hall. Warrior, Yuanshi and Camilia emerged. Fatelle came slower. Rhysya only briefly wondered if Fatelle could be surprised.

She went down the stairs to the conference room on the second floor. Both Shawna and Eternity jerked toward her. Shawna's eyes were red and she had dark circles under them. Eternity dashed to Rhysya and embraced her. Rhysya pushed past her, panting Lightening's name. Shawna put her arms out to support the round girl.

"What is it, Child? Where is he?"

"The Acidonians. They had us. We couldn't get away. He put me on a horse and he went back for the King."

Shawna moved to the door and pushed through the blockade of people. "That idiot. He's always been in a hurry to die."

Rhysya followed her, Eternity and the others close behind. Shawna got a horse and put Rhysya on it. She climbed up behind her. Yuanshi and Camilia took a horse; Warrior pulled Fatelle on with him. Eternity stayed behind with Jonah. They were only a mile toward Acidonia when a speck appeared in the distance. When Shawna positively identified the dot as the Son of Thunder, dressed head to toe in black, Rhysya jumped off the horse and ran toward him.

She punched him and pounded his chest with her fists. "Don't you ever do that again. Ever, ever, ever."

Lightening pulled her to his chest as she sobbed "ever." He twined her hair around his finger, kissed the top of her head. Shawna didn't come between them.

* * * * *

Lightening and Rhysya were up late being interrogated. Rhysya let her head droop into the crook of her arm and shut her eyes. Eternity touched her shoulder, pushed her awake. Rhysya rose to her feet, kissed Lightening on the forehead. He guided her to the door. She repeated, "Never scare me like that again."

"Shawna, now that Rhysya is gone, can we discuss their relationship?"

"I am here," Lightening said, taking his seat.

"Shawna?"

"What is there to discuss?" Shawna replied.

"Nothing has changed?" Eternity said, her nose in the air.

Shawna kept her counsel.

Eternity narrowed her eyes at Lightening. "Will he cooperate?"

Shawna could always find his heart under his mask. She assured Eternity that he would.

Eternity rose. "I'm tired. Notify me if there's an Acidonian scare."

"James hasn't reported one."

Eternity bobbed her head, then left.

Lightening folded his arms and leaned back in the chair. As soon as the latch fell into place, he said, "We've been together all month."

"What about the Acidonians?"

"We were captives, but we were held together."

Shawna swallowed.