Chapter Forty-Two

Since we're getting more of Magpie's world, this is a sketch of Torin. 

 Magpie didn't want to go home, but she could avoid it no longer. She slammed the door to the kitchen. Magpie had no desire to see any member of her family.

"Magpie," Glenada said, running in. "Where have you been? I worried all these hours."

"Why should I tell you?" she said. "You won't believe me."

"Don't be inane, Magpie," Lorid said.

Magpie yelled, "All I get from you are accusatory stares, that I have been in the company of the Son of Thunder."

"Magpie," Glenada said. "No one meant—"

"Don't lie to me," she shrieked. "You don't even believe me when I say to you with my own mouth that our relationship is not as such."

"Magpie."

"I will not stay in a house where my own words are less reliable than rumors."

"Magpie, we had no idea," Glenada said.

"Why must I be his whore? Because I am a woman, I cannot be valued for my mind? Why have I bothered to learn of law if I cannot be an equal? Why must you think so low of me?"

Glenada put her hand on Magpie's elbow and guided her to the seat. "We're sorry, Magpie."

She shot away from her and stormed up the steps. Magpie smashed into her bed. A soft knock came at her door. Torin's voice followed. "Magpie," he said. "Are you well?" The bed bowed with the added weight of his formidable body.

"You know I'm not the Son of Thunder's bitch?"

He lowered his eyes. Charise and Glenada spent hours fluttering between the inn and the Clandellen village, speaking of the advantageous match Magpie had made.

"What have you been doing all day?"

She clenched her teeth, saw the ceiling through her tears. "I can't tell you."

"We used to be friends," Torin said. Hurt changed to anger. He thrust himself across her room, threw open the door and charged down the hall. "Why do you lie of it?"

"I will not justify myself to you," she said, going after him. Her heart was in a vice, tears stung her eyes. A plume of fire burned her nostrils.

He paused before her parents. "I must go."

Canary followed after him, but he slammed the door in her face. "That's fine, Magpie. You treat Torin like a dog."

"I can't tell you!" she yelled at the lobby. Magpie dashed up the stairs and hid in her room the rest of the evening.

* * * * *

"The initiation ceremony was excellent, Fatelle," Rhysya said, following the small Rashaman around the little tent of a home. Fatelle was as she always was, as the people expected her to be, dirty, serious, never smiling. Rhysya wondered if she did smile. Her dresses were the same. Torn, soiled, old. Rhysya had made presents of new clothing, but Fatelle was unaware of appearances. She made the ceremonial robes. If her interest peaked, she'd have made her own. Fatelle had no interest in the initiation. They were dull and only for show. Rhysya had no interest either, but Rhysya was polite when she wanted something.

Eternity, Yuanshi and Camilia entered the room, Camilia and Yuanshi each in the company of a child. They bowed to Fatelle, which made Fatelle consider laughing, but she didn't. Façades were of the utmost importance to her.

Fatelle invited them to gather round the fire. She pulled a jar of incense and a jar of colored salts off the shelf. She positioned them on either side of her and began to hum. A trance wasn't necessary. All the predictions had already come to her. She'd finished Rashana's ceremonial robes and had them folded near her seat. Rashana would be tall. Like her father. Fatelle unscrewed the lid to the jar and threw a handful in the fire. Green flames rose first, then red, blue and yellow. Jasmine filled the air.

"Rashana's greatness as a purest will only be eclipsed by her father's reign. She will be taught how to guide the people and will learn by example that reason and patience are the fundamental tools of ruling a people. She will be happy, strong and brilliant. She won't marry until late in her life. She won't bear children. She will lead a long life. Her sisters will inherit her throne. She will choose Rorae as her successor."

Rhysya was unhappy to hear that her daughter would be barren, but she was pleased with all the other remarks.

"Rashana won't be satisfied here. Valley bores her. She'll wander to younger territory."

Rhysya's chin quivered and her lip stuck out in a pout. She had scanned the people for Lightening. She was sure he would be there, even after their fight. She swore to never speak of him again when he didn't come.

"Don't worry, Rhysya. You will encourage her to explore. Rashana will have a particularly strong attachment to her father. He will train her for the Playground and she'll love the exhilaration of the fight."

"She's not going to have any contact with Thundonia," Eternity interrupted.

"Contrary," Fatelle said, maintaining her poise, "she will rule Thundonia."

"Can she rule both Thundonia and Valley of the Star?"

"She won't rule Valley. She'll leave it to her sister."

Rhysya had sworn to remarry, but she didn't relish the idea. "Rorae."

"No." Fatelle's eyes penetrated Rhysya. She felt the full weight of their reproach. "I speak of Remme, whom you carry now."

Rhysya paled, touched her stomach. Eternity grabbed Rhysya by the hair and pulled on it. "When have you lain with him?"

"Eternity," Fatelle said. "It's of no use abusing her. You cannot change her condition. For now, their union is terminated. They will not speak for several annae."

 * * * * *

 Shawna dropped the scroll. She composed herself, lifted it, read it again. Her mind was divided. Lightening would have to be approached delicately, no matter the truth. The addition of Magpie to their ranks had been an answer to a prayer. She was sanity and mirth. That hadn't been present since before the Acidonian War. Foolish of her to assume Magpie was responsible for Lightening's good humor.

Lightening was prompt when he was called. His demeanor hid any signs of secrecy. He searched Shawna's face, but knew better than to question her. She would reveal her motives in her time.

She paced across the office, put a hand to her forehead. Shawna came back to her seat, lowered herself into it. "Mask off."

Lightening rose, closed the door. He pulled the mask, headdress and all, away in one motion. He jostled his hair until it settled on his shoulders.

"Truth," Shawna said. "Your relationship with Rhysya?"

His face was blank. His brow darkened. His eyes shifted to the scroll on Shawna's desk. Unlike her to have only one parchment to address. "All ties have been severed. You know that." He wished to read the scroll, discover what Shawna had to accuse him of.

"Rhysya has announced that she is with child," Shawna said.

Lightening was numb. No life, no breath was in him. He was a rag doll draped in the chair. He fixed his chin and blinked to stop the tears. He couldn't let the words take hold in his brain. He choked on his own vomit. He put his hand over his mouth, refused to let the bile pass his lips.

Shawna came to his side. "Lightening—"

He meant to shout, "Shut up," but the rancid fluid came heaving forth. Shawna grabbed Lightening's headdress, kept him bent so the guards wouldn't see his face. Shawna started screaming and Juice threw open the door.

"Call Magpie," she said. "Lightening is ill. Cancel the announcements."

Juice bowed and left.