Chapter Twenty-Nine

Lightening found the royal court. One of the banners was missing and the body of the king had been removed. Shela was on the throne. She stood when she saw him.

"I knew you would come."

Lightening pulled his sword from his sheath.

Shela's eyes followed the length of the blade. "That's not fair. I won't fight you armed."

"Fine." He threw the sword to the ground and snatched Shela by the throat. He pulled her so close that he could smell her acrid breath. She showed him her yellow, putrid teeth.

"What are you going to do now? Splatter my brains against the wall?" Her voice was low and hissing.

"If that will kill you."

Her smile darkened. "An eye for an eye." She ran her nails down his cheeks, touching the bone, then slashed his throat with the lethal daggers.

He threw her against the wall, her skull shattering, blood splattering over him. Blood and hair clung to the stones as her body slid to the floor. He watched her eyes flutter spasmodically, her limbs shaking, then still. Satisfied that she was dead, he lay down next to her and closed his eyes.

* * * * *

Magpie stood at the front. She was torn. Annadam had started contractions as soon as the Acidonians invaded. Magpie had burst out of the inn to keep the Acidonians from them. When they fled, she had returned home. Then the chanting began. Lorid went out to see what was happening. Lorid told Magpie to follow them, stay away from the conflict and report back. She did her father's bidding, but she would miss the birth.

Shawna leaned forward on the drawbridge. Silence. She was paralyzed before the dark opening. She wanted to charge inside, but she couldn't will herself forward. Suddenly, she darted into the castle.

Warrior ran to the spot she had vacated and called to her as she had to Lightening. His eyes never left the castle. He stared for an entire hour without a single motion. Not a person moved. The sky was growing pink in the east when Shawna finally appeared. A body was hanging in her arms.

"No!" Magpie shrieked, her hand to her mouth. She clamored to her feet, but others had risen and all were pushing forward. Magpie thanked her height that she could see over the crowd.

Warrior ran up to Shawna's side and others stumbled forward, but she didn't acknowledge him. The people parted as she passed them. Her lips were stiff. She remained silent all the way to Thundonia. Magpie could barely lift her feet. She wanted to sob. This wasn't possible. Not the Son of Thunder.  

 * * * * *

Shawna climbed the stairs and pushed open Lightening's door with her foot. Rhysya stood, her hands rubbing her elbows. Shawna's face paled, but her conviction forced her to the bed. She laid the Son down and pulled a sheet up to his chest. Rhysya only watched.

Shawna pulled his mask off and revealed the eight symmetrical streaks on his face. They'd been cleaned. Shawna knelt next to him, put her hand on his forehead, kissed his cheek. Her dead eyes stared at him and a hush fell around her. Warrior went about lighting the torches, candles and oil lamp. Not too bright. Yuanshi and his family were near. Eternity appeared in the hall, bellowing about the noise.

Rhysya concentrated on Lightening. She watched for some motion, for his chest to rise, but Shawna was blocking her view. Rhysya swallowed the saliva anxiously collecting in her mouth. She knelt next to Shawna and put her hand on her back.

"May I help?"

Shawna didn't answer. Rhysya moved to Lightening's face, pressed her fingers to his lips. He was warm. She bent over and kissed him. Rhysya left the room. She returned with a bowl and a rag and a jar of salve. Steam rose out of the bowl. Warrior followed with a pair of chairs. He sat one at the head of the bed, the other next to it.

Warrior took Shawna by the shoulders and sat her in a chair. Rhysya rubbed the cloth over Lightening's cheek, dipped it in the water, wrung it out, then rubbed his other cheek. Then she took the lid off the salve and smeared the red streaks with it. The ritual kept her from screaming.

* * * * *

"Shawna, you must eat," Warrior said. 

Breakfast, lunch and dinner had passed. Yuanshi and Eternity watched from the doorway. She had to be hungry. Shawna's hand was over Lightening's. His face was covered again.

"Shawna, food is necessary."

Her eyes only shifted over her shoulder. Rhysya's chair was empty. Eternity had insisted that she depart for dinner. Rhysya had gone through the motions of obeying.

"I will eat as soon as Lightening is better."

Warrior glanced at Eternity furtively. Eternity gave Warrior a contemptuous look and folded out of the doorway.

"If I bring up some broth, will you eat it?"

Shawna didn't answer right away. "Only a little bit. I'm not hungry."

Hours later Warrior returned to find the bowl set aside, cold broth standing in it. Rhysya was next to Shawna. Her arms were folded over her chest as she leaned back in the chair. Her face was red and puffy. Shawna hadn't moved in position. Lightening's mask was off again. Rhysya leaned forward and brushed his hair off his forehead.

"Shawna, it's time for bed."

Shawna didn't look at him. She stared at Lightening's eyelids. Her blood shot eyes told on her.

"Shawna, please lie down. Even if it's only an hour, you must rest."

"Warrior, don't pester me." Her words slurred together.

"Shawna, come to bed."

"He mustn't be left alone."

"I'll stay with him," Rhysya said, stretching.

"Please, Shawna. I'll lie with you." Warrior put his hands on her shoulders and drew her up out of the chair. She only slowly let Lightening's hand go and allowed Warrior guide her away. Rhysya climbed into the bed with Lightening and rested her head on his chest. The rhythm of his heartbeat put her to sleep.

Shawna lay still in Warrior's arms, but her mind was with Lightening. Warrior slid his fingers over her lips. "Shawna, try to sleep."

His fingers went to her hairline and slipped over the kinsash tied around her forehead. Her other hand worked the one at her waist.

"It's no good." She threw the cover off and climbed out of bed. "I have to be with him."

Warrior, a mound of sludge, followed her. Silence illuminated the hall. Shawna pushed open the door and fire lit her eyes. Warrior saw Rhysya lying next to Lightening and drew Shawna out of the room.

Warrior closed his eyes and looked for patience. "She's his wife, Shawna."

Shawna focused on the stone walls. The threads of her muscles stung with exhaustion. She headed back to her room.