Chapter Forty-Three

Torin had been quieter since their argument. Magpie insisted on continuing their friendship. She had gotten up before the sky was pink and was eager for a nap. She had only killed a few rabbits that day. Torin had shot his arrows aimlessly, missed every target.

"Come dine with my family this evening." Magpie pressed her hand to his arm. "You've not dined with us since—" She paused. Torin glared at her. "For nearly a season. The earth is cold. Come enjoy the warmth of my family."

He let his arms ease to his sides. He smiled through his sadness. "I'll be there sharply."

Magpie left Torin at the Clandellen village and skipped to the inn. She thought about wearing a dress to the announcements. Shawna was appeased by her gowns. Secretly, Lightening liked it too. Torin would like to see that. Maybe it would bring a real smile to his face.

Magpie laid her bow by the door and batted her eyes at Annadam. She sat with Glenada shelling peas with the assistance of Hawk, Dark and Canary. She rambled, "We're all so happy in Valley."

"What are you doing here?" Magpie said. Why wasn't anyone preparing for the announcements?

"Rhysya is to bear another child," Annadam said. "She just proclaimed it this morn."

Magpie's hands grew numb. She dashed away, then paused on the staircase, called down, "Canary, may I borrow your perfume?"

"What for?"

"An emergency."

"What emergency calls for perfume?"

"Please don't ask me."

As soon as permission was granted, Magpie snatched the bottle of fragrance from her bureau. Canary's preference was sweet and sugary. Magpie hadn't a preference. She preferred none at all. She ran to her bedroom, yanked the braid out of her hair and brushed it into submission. She washed her face and hands in the basin, then opened her closet. Pushing each dress aside, shaking her head and biting her lip, she examined them. Then she caught the package on the shelf. The black gown. Perfect. No dress hugged her more pleasingly than this one.

Magpie's heart tingled and she went to the dresser. The Lovebirds had taken an interest in color and shown her the proper method of applying it. She powdered first, accented her cheeks and eyes with color, used kohl at the edges, then put a deep red on her lips. She pulled the gown on. It had two buttons on the collar and was made of cashmere, a wooly fabric she'd never touched before, but couldn't release. She hugged the garment and inhaled the newness of it. The skirts were full and flowing. It was too perfect to wear.

Magpie stared at her reflection in the mirror. Deep breath. She had to touch the glass to be sure this formidable woman was her.

"Magpie!" Glenada rose off of her stoop as she glided down the stairs. Apostle was addressing Dark.

"I already know," Magpie said, moving down the last few stairs. Shawna was aware she hunted on Tyr's day. Sending Apostle to fetch her was unnecessary.

He knelt before her as if she were royalty. "You are a vision, Mistress."

"You've never looked more fine," Glenada echoed.

Magpie said, "Good. We must go."

Apostle escorted her more truly than he ever had in the past. Most times, he would walk beside her, a spear in his hand. Today he offered her his arm, his posture unnaturally straight. He spoke of Lightening's distress. Shawna was most troubled. He urged her to move quickly, but insisted on treating her as a lady.