Chapter Forty-Nine

Canary's wedding had been over for three moons and a contented silence had fallen over Lightening and Magpie. She sat before her vanity, satisfied her solitude. She stroked her hair with a brush, thought of Lightening's hair, still streaked with black. He'd made a great effort to wash it clean. Shawna said his tresses would be useless for a kinsash. Magpie put the brush aside when she heard the tapping at her door.

"It's us," Annadam called.

"Enter," turning in the chair to face them.

Annadam rushed in and hugged her.

"You're not yet dressed," Hawk said.

Magpie had no engagements, a true rarity in the ruling wing. Wildlife was teeming with activity. She should have motivated herself to take her bow out, but her strongest desire was to lumber about. "I needn't change until lunch."

"Lunch is past," Annadam said.

"It's past siesta," Hawk muttered, lifting a crystal orb off of her shelf. General Chai had sent it to her, along with a pleasing note requesting a visit.

Magpie shrugged. "Then I'll wait until dinner."

Dark leaned in the doorway.

"Why have you come?"

Annadam shifted her gaze to Dark. "We thought you might like to hear the news."

Magpie braced herself. Annadam was being too cheerful. "Of what?"

"Of the wedding," Annadam said.

"I went," she said, facing her mirror. "I know all the news."

"Glenada has rambled endlessly since."

"Complaining that I'm still unmarried?" Magpie said, going to her closet and pulling out her hunting garments.

"No," Hawk said.

"Actually," Annadam said, "she has been raving about the Son of Thunder's presence at the wedding. She can't get past his sacrifice."

"He removed his gloves," she said. Magpie pulled her leggings on under her shift. "Only one hand was completely bared."

"Still," she said, pressing her fingers to her shoulder, "he's never bared any flesh before."

"You should reside here," Magpie said. "We're not permitted to enter any room until given permission from within lest we see Lightening indisposed."

"Nevertheless," Annadam said, "Glenada has praised the Son of Thunder and said that he must be devoted to you to make the sacrifice."

"Next time she remarks, Hawk," he looked up at Magpie and put the orb down, "tell her that no union is in the works."

"Lorid talks differently," Dark said.

"How?" she said, drawing up the laces of her leggings.

"He tells of the Son of Thunder lifting the minister off the ground and threatening him if he forced him to remove the mask."

Magpie groaned. She'd be mortified every time she recalled it. "Lightening isn't like that. He's of a much more genial temper."

Dark smirked. "I assumed that much."

"Charise said you endured the wedding well," Annadam said. "She wished me to apologize for her son. She was pleased to see you supporting him and your sister."

"You didn't tell her the truth?"

"I saw no call for it," Annadam said. "Torin faces enough punishment."