Coach Kan is beyond himself with joy at the moment. With two weeks remaining, he's blatantly confident that I'll be able to pull through for the Olympics and return to Korea with a spanking gold medal hanging around my neck. Leo's coach, however, is anything but happy. I've seen him side-eyeing me with as much malice as a serial killer in a horror flick. Unlike Costa, he's always watching me, probably trying to contemplate how I've managed to outperform the reigning champion.

And it scares me. While I'm excited to go to London and live the dream I've been envisioning since I first put on a leotard, I'm nervous about Costa's father. His patience is wearing down like the fuse of a bomb every day that I beat his son. And that dreaded explosion will need to be thwarted for as long as possible. 

So I'll have to purposely play it safe, maybe get a few deductions in my routines to give him some leeway. 

I don't care if doing so makes Kan mad. As long as Leo stays safe, I could give a shit if Kan is a bit irked. I simply need to fake my incompetency until then. 

Until the end...

At the end of this, nothing will stop me from reporting his father.

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

~

~

~

"Four more sets, Jeon!"

Coach Kan yells across the fitness room to his mentee, making eye contact in the mirror. The Korean nods as he shakes out his arms, eventually returning to the Russian deadlifts he has been assigned for conditioning.

On the other side of the room, Leonardo works stamina by running with a weighted vest and ankle weights on a fast-moving treadmill. Donnell is focusing on buffing his shoulder blades with a nasty resistance band, expanding the purple band repeatedly at his coach's command. Throughout the room is the heavy sound of breathing, footfalls on the treadmill, and vague American pop music playing over the speakers of the room.

Jungkook inhales through his nose and puffs air out his mouth as he squats with dumbbells in his hands. Every time he rises, he has to fight the urge to look at Leonardo in the mirror. It's challenging, a hard opportunity to miss up, but he knows the Brazilian will be reminded of something that doesn't need reminding. 

Even though Jungkook didn't do anything with McKayla that night other than talking and kissing, Leonardo is none the wiser. For all he knows, those two are in a dedicated, romantic relationship that will outlast the Olympics until a loving and stable marriage later on...or perhaps in his mind is brewing some other crazy, inaccurate theory.

Whenever Jungkook tries to approach Leonardo in the dorm hallways to explain him and McKayla's dumb three-week relationship plan that's based on infatuation, the other brushes him off. Just mentioning McKayla's name seems to hit a hard spot inside the Brazilian.