The proposal

" Are you Sylvia ?" A little girl walked towards me.

" Yeah?"

" This is for  you." She handed me a small paper and left.

I unfolded he paper and read,

I said right after the party! And in the backyard. Hurry!

At first I thought it was some kind of a joke but then instantly I knew who it was from. He had asked me to come to the basement after the party and it had almost been an hour since the party ended.

How poetic of him to send a note.

I looked around me but no one was in sight. Nearly all the guests had left and neither my parents nor Granny was in sight. Probably gone to their room.

Clutching the paper I walked towards the backyard. As soon as I reached there I saw no one. I was about turn around when I heard someone playing the opening strings of a song. I stopped.

" Dexter?"

No answer.

"Dexter, if this is some ki-" Suddenly Dexter came from behind the aisle with a guitar dangling from his neck.

I sucked in a breath. He looked up and our gazes met. My heart beat began to accelerate. His satisfaction reached his eyes and sparkled under the light. Seconds passed by with both of us staring at one another until he adjusted his guitar and began,

"I swear to God, when I come home
I'm gonna hold you so close
I swear to God, when I come home
I'll never let go
Like a river, I flow
To the ocean, I know
You pull me close, guiding me home
And I need you to know that we're fallin' so fast
We're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love
And I'm not scared to say those words with you, I'm safe
We're fallin' like the stars, we're fallin' in love

His eyes were damp as tears wetted his handsome face. He stared at me without moving as my tears rolled down too. We stood five feet apart, staring at one another as the sun set between us in the sky. Through blurry eyes I weakly smiled at him.

He took a step towards me and I took a step towards him. Without breaking his stare, he sat down on his knees and gave his crooked smile.

"I swear to God, I can see
Four kids and no sleep
We'll have one on each knee, you and me, hmm" he closed his eyes as he hummed.

And when they've grown up
You're still the girl in the club
When I held your hair up, 'cause you had too much
And I need you to know that we're fallin' so fast
We're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love
And I'm not scared to say those words with you, I'm safe
We're fallin' like the stars, we're fallin' in love

I swear to God, every day
He won't take you away
'Cause without you, babe, I lose my way

I was crying now. I couldn't control the tears. I lowered myself on my knees and sat down as our foreheads strikes together. I close my eyes as our noses tips touched too.

Oh, I'm in love
Oh, I'm in love
Oh, I'm in love
Oh, I'm in love
Oh, I'm in love
Oh, I'm in love (fallin' like the stars)
And I need you to know that we're fallin' so fast
We're fallin' like the stars, fallin' in love
And I'm not scared to say those words with you, I'm sa-"

That's it I kissed him with all my might. Like there was no tomorrow. I didn't get a glimpse of his face such instantaneous and urgent it was. He was taken off guard and lost his balance but quickly maintained his posture by gripping my waist. In a rush his hands moved to my face and brushed my hair away from my face as he kissed me back.

I tried pulling away but Dexter  wrapped his arms around me and with a swift gradation of intensity thrust his tongue into my mouth that made me cling to him as the only solid thing in a dizzy swaying world and not caring that the guitar digging into my stomach. His insistent mouth was parting my shaking lips, sending wild tremors along my nerves, evoking a sensations I had never known I was capable of feeling. And then with  a swimming giddiness he stood up and spun me round and round.

Finally breathless we pulled apart. My lipstick was smudged on his face. He was blushing. I was sweating. I stood up and turned away from him but he tugged onto my hand and turned me around. As I looked up to him he smoothly enveloped me in a hug. His face dig into my neck and hairs as he held me  against  him. I wrapped my arms around his torso and placed my cheek on his shoulder. We stayed like that for less than a minute when he gently grabbed my hand and... placed a ring on my finger.I stared at him stunned.

I heard screaming and shouting as all the people came out from the sides.

Woah what a surprise!

Before I could say anything further people from all sides of the backyard engulfed me in hugs and congratulated me. Mom was squeaking in happiness. While dad was just observing me from the corner and passing me smiles. I felt like everything was happening in a rush. I felt my energy drain away and my head throbbed. I need to talk to Dext-

" Hey, sweetie are you okay?" A woman, which congratulated me earlier asked.

"Huh? Yeah." I smiled at her as I began to feel a huge weight on my chest and short of breath.

" You look very pale. Happens in teenagers after they come across an emotional-"

" Sarah, can I have a minute with my daughter please?" Mom walked towards us.

" sure." She squeezed my hand and left.

" Sweetie, you've no idea how happy I am right now." Mom hugged me.

" Me too." My voice was barely a whisper as the dizziness began to consume me.

Suddenly the world blurred into colours before me and the objects began to swirl. I felt a huge rock press down on my chest and knocked the air out of me. My head hit the ground and an usual darkness consume my eyes. Everything was flying, while I was falling

Falling.

Falling.

I heard mom scream and shuffling of shoes. Instantly my head was in someone's hand as he tried to hold me.

" Sy! Sy get up!"

" Always on...time, aren't you?" I tried to keep my eyes open but it was a huge effort.

" Call...ambulance! She's sweating!"

" Look at me! Sy...not now, not like this."

" Sylvia, open your eyes! Don't speak." I heard dad.

" You can't leave me. Not now! Open...damn...eyes!" Dexter was crying because I could feel his tears on my face, on my neck.

I wanted to wipe everyone's tears away and tell them to save them for a good time. A better cause but I couldn't speak nor could move my hand.

" St...ay. Wi...th me." I managed.

His voice was fainting.

" ...forever."
.
It was the last thing I remember as I felt someone lift me up and carry me through the darkness.