CHAPTER 13 - Detective

"Nozel, how is this not seeking attention?" You asked the silver haired man infront of you. Both of you were trying to find out information about the illegal smuggling on Clover kingdom.

"This is a very bad approach. A captain and a magic knight asking questions to the streets- totally not suspicious" you said in sarcasm.

"Well what do you expect? Peasants are usually the ones smuggling" he replied back as you thought of a possibility.

"On the contrary, I'd say that 63% of the smuggling are done by the rich. Most likely someone with a high enough status" you pointed out as he eyed you.

"And your proof for that is?" He asked as you eyed a noble passing by you, looking really suspicious and careful. A noble was going on secluded area of town- again totally not suspicious.

"Why don't we find out ourselves?" You smiled at him as you activated your aurora magic to make yourself appear as aurora lights which is almost invisible in the day light. Your magic was very limited but you somehow find away to make it very special.

"Don't do magic unless you want your cover to be blown. I can't control my magic well and you know that" you whispered as both of you followed the noble man.

"You're back. The trade has been successfully done but there's words on the street that you might wanna know" another man chuckled as the noble raised his eyebrow.

"And that is?" He asked.

"Nuh-uh . You need to pay first" the other man said as the noble clicked his tongue and paid him.

"They say that the Silver Eagles are investing a case of illegal smuggling and ofcourse that means you'll get involved" he said as the noble seemed alarmed.

He quickly scurried away and Nozel was about to cast a spell but you stopped him. He glared at you but you just followed the fleeing man as the braided captain beside you had no choice but to follow suit.

"Care to explain?" He whispered.

"Theoretically, he's just a henchmen for the real boss of this operation. He's in distress so naturally, his response is to reach out for the boss or other higher ups. That way we can get more information" you replied while keeping a close eye on the noble.

He entered a mansion of some sort and you both quickly followed before the door closes. You looked around for any signs on who owns the mansion but there was surprisingly none.

"That's strange..." You whispered.

"If this was a mansion, wouldn't Nozel have recognized this? There's no maids or butlers aswell and the door would close in 4.2 seconds but it was delayed to approximately 6.8 seconds..." You whisperer to yourself as you observed the noble's behaviour.

"He's in distress yet he seemed so confident about something..." You stopped in your tracks and furrowed your eyebrows.

"This... Is a ready made trap- NOZEL!" you shouted and realized that it was all a trap. The boss was surely a smart one or maybe someone who knows well about the situation.

Nozel was alarmed and immediately broke of your spell as he activated his own for defense. The noble's sweat was actively dripping.

"H-how?" He asked as you became more serious. "Too obvious" you replied which made him take a step back. You tried to scan the area and felt mana everywhere.

"There's 20- no, maybe 30 people hiding within this mansion" you informed Nozel which made the noble cower in fear at how accurate you were being.

"You're inhuman! How is it possible that you've read what we've been doing!?" He asked you as you continued to activate your other magic which was Siren's magic.

The halls made it easy to let your voice echo and you're confident that you got most of the armed men in the mansion. Nozel was impressed at your actions and it was ashame if you'd quit Silver Eagles.

"Don't underestimate the power of reasoning and logic" you said in poised manner which made him shiver.

"Nozel" you said as he nodded. Nozel caught the man in his magic as you sung more to control the men to come in the room. Soon, the room was swarmed by the controlled men as they say down one by one in your command.

"I guess that's all that's here... The next thing to do is it interogate-" you coughed blood which made you look around.

"What?" You asked as Nozel immediately took your figure and went out the mansion. You were now on the rooftop while you tried to deduced on what happened.

"You might have missed it but there are subtle planted devices. I assume that it filtered the air which caused our body to react in such a way" Nozel wiped away the blood from his mouth.

"Then we must save those inside!" You said as he looked at you as if you're crazy. "It's their fault, let them suffer the consequences of their actions" he replied coldly.

"They're humans too. We won't deprive them of their remaining lifespan. You might not know but there's a chance that they have a family waiting for them to return home safely" you said as you stood up with a clear resolve.

"I'm going in" you said and entered the mansion again. Nozel knew how a soft hearted woman you are but he can't just let you recklessly go in there. He decided that he'll support your with your decision.

Soon enough Nozel cleared out the mansion and proceeded to find you. You're almost unconscious and you were glad that Nozel's there.

He carried you bridal style and noticed that you were lighter than before. "You're still heavy but you've lost weight" he told your half conscious figure.

"That's why you shouldn't tell a woman about her weight" you sarcastically retorted as he sighed. You've done a splendid work today and he isn't going to deny it.

"We didn't caught the person behind the smuggling" he said in disappointment.

"No, we caught one. There's two bosses but the noble who almost tricked us was dumb enough to mutter apologies and drop a name of their boss, thinking that his time has come" you barely kept your eyes open.

"It's the head of the (random clan name)" you told him as you felt your curse mark throb. You squeezed Nozel unintentionally as he noticed your sudden pain. You noticed his slight concern but you tried to keep it out of topic.

"He mentioned something about purple and another high ranking person but that's all, no names" you tried to keep in topic and thank God that Nozel didn't pry on your pain.

"Nozel... Look out!!" You weakly said as you noticed flying boulder coming your way from above. Nozel quickly shape shifted his mercury magic and crushed it into more bearable pieces. You activated your magic to fling it somewhere.

"That's a futile attack" you muttered as Nozel called on his members to pick up the criminals involved.

Nozel carried you to the Silver Eagles HQ as you both stood dumbfounded at the scene infront of you. The rocks you threw off a while ago damaged the HQ.

"I apologize! Really!" You quickly said, still not giving in to your unconsciousness. You expected Nozel to curse and shout at you but he didn't.

"It's fine. I'll ask you to repay" He shortly said which made you nod.

"How much do you need-" you tried to asked but he cut you off.

"I don't need your money. I want you to repay me by staying as a knight of The Silver Eagles" he said as you looked at him with shock that was followed by a smile.

"Yes Captain" you said in a determined yet soft voice. You felt bliss overtake your body and you fell unconscious.

"Thankyou for not shouting at me, Nozel" you whispered before you finally became unable to talk.

"Change can sometimes be unpredictable but it's not a surprise since you came" he said and continued to talk to your unconscious figure.

"I somehow don't want you to go. What have you done to me, woman?"