CHAPTER 9 - Stone

"Fuegoleon?" You asked as you woke up from the infirmary of your squad. You don't remember getting back on the HQ.

"You're awake. I'm sorry if Nozel wasn't the one you first see" he apologized as you shook your head.

"No it's fine. Is there anything you need?" You asked while you try to sit down and rest your back on the headboard.

"No but I'll be letting you hold on to this" he said and gave you a necklace of some sort. "But wasn't this your family's?" You asked him in confusion.

"They say it brings luck" he said not aware that in the future, it will ruin everyone's lives.

"I see... Thankyou Fueggy!" you said in an enthusiastic voice. He smiled in return and headed out.

"I must go now and inform Nozel that you're awake" After the said captain left, another person went in.

"Nebra! It's a pleasure to see you" you said with a smile as she looked at you with surprised. For a person who almost ran out of life yesterday, you sure recover quickly.

"Lady (Y/n)! You're already awake?" She asked as you nodded your head.

"Why are you here? I'm sure you're busy doing squad duties" you asked her in return as she looked at you.

"I came to check up on you since brother couldn't. He seemed like he's in distraught" she explained as you remembered the scene before you fainted. You slightly blushed and Nebra saw this but stayed quiet.

"I see, I'm fine. You don't need to check up on me. I'm sure Fuegoleon already informed Nozel that I was awake aswell. You can rest easy" you said as she nodded and walked away with a proper farewell.

"This necklace... Why does it feel like there's different type of mana in it.." you whispered as the door opened to reveal a certain braided haired man.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I'm feeling great!" You replied as he didn't look convinced.

"The room is cold yet you have visible sweat. Your eyes are sunken and your lips are paler than usual. Why can't you be honest" he said as you profusely blinked multiple times.

"Who knew you were so observant . Back then you were a horrible detective" you laughed, trying to change the topic.

"Stop changing the topic. What are you hiding from me? You also spat out words that are signalling something" he continued to tackle the uncomfortable topic.

Yes, you couldn't tell him the main reason why you wanted to call of the engagement the first place. You're trying your best to hide it to yourself.

"There's nothing to hide from you" you lied but you know it was futile.

"You lied." He said.

"You lied." You responded.

"You said you love me didn't you?" You asked, trying to change the topic and it seems like it's working.

"I did" he replied shortly.

"But you're just convincing yourself to love me, right?" You continued to ask.

"In this case, If you keep being dishonest then I truly can't love you" he replied.

"You're pushing me away" he continued.

"And now you know what Noelle feels" you commented as he looked at you with all seriousness.

"That's right. Thankyou for making me realize to not feed myself with lies. I don't love you and I'm giving you permission to leave my squad" he said.

You're world crumbled and you began to tremble from the pain. He stabbed you with his words and with the truth. Nozel walked away as you sighed, you knew that this was best.

You can't live long anyways, you were the same as Lady Acier. You were cursed by the demons the moment you helped Queen Lolopechka. You were indeed strong but this curse made you weak.

"I can't feed myself with lies too. I'm never becoming stronger since I'm growing weaker and weaker each day" you said under your breath.

"I'm going to spend my time with Nozel until he doesn't care for me anymore. By that time, he can easily move on from my death since he won't care for me anymore" you planned out.

"Lady Acier. I'm sorry" you said.

Nozel on the other hand was in his office thinking that you were better off out of his squad. He doesn't want you to go on mission and he doesn't want to get attached to a woman who doesn't trust him.

"Why must it be her?" He sighed.

"Why must I grow fond of a woman who left my life only to come back years later" he rubbed the temples near his eyes.

"I can forget her. I'll forget her little by little. I'll grow tired of her eventually" he said as he plan to forget you. Your plan is working perfectly but Nozel will regret surely regret it.

He remembers seeing you wearing a necklace that belongs to Fuegoleon. He clenched his arms and realized that you might be inlove with Fuegoleon rather than him.

"It seem like I've lost to you Fuegoleon" he bitterly said as he signed the papers infront of him.

You stood up and went outside to a tall wall near the capital. It has a mesmerizing view and you couldn't help yourself but sing a sad tune.

People heard your song and so did Nozel. It suddenly brought back happy memories that ended up tragically and everyone was feeling the same pain you felt.

Nozel knew it should be stopped so he went to find the source of the voice and saw you staring of into the sky with hopeful eyes . You seemed like you were lost.

"(Y/n) stop singing" he demanded as you complied without looking at him. You eyes suddenly became dull and almost like it's lifeless.

"Nozel, there's not much people who'll remember me if I'm gone right?" You asked as he faced the facts.

"That's right. You only knew a few people and it's natural that there's a few who'll remember you" he answered as you smiled.

"Good" you whispered under your breath.

'But those who knew you would grieve for life. Those few people are the only one's to see what beauty you hold and it's ashame if you'll disappear' He wanted to continue but he refrained himself

"The moment when crisis hits, you'll break off the engagement, correct?" You asked as he replied.

"That's correct"

"Alright I have a feeling that it's soon. I guess I need to say my farewells properly" you stood up as the golden sun shone upon your figure which highlighted your beautiful features.

The wind danced along with your hair and dress. Your eyes held that sorrowful look and you walked towards the man.

"I'm sorry to have not met your standards Nozel... I guess this is a farewell" you cupped his cheeks as he stood still.

"I love you" you whispered as you tip toes to kiss the man you've always admired. It was short and he didn't even have the time to respond. You walked away and he decided to not chase you. Little did he know that this was another thing he'll regret.