Chapter 13.

Sasha's P.O.V

Before you judge my life. My past. Or my character. Walk in my shoes, walk the path I've traveled. Live my sorrow, my doubts, my fear, my pain and my laughter. Remember, everyone has a story. When you've lived my life then you can judge me.

Mrs.Beckerman tutted, her trained eye taking in the ragged state of the young pup in my arms. "I've never seen such blank eyes..." She murmured half to herself, biting her lip. "From the size of her I'd say around seven or eight, but she's malnourished, so there's no definite age I can give her." The woman's skittish blue eyes flickered between Audrey and I. "Worse, werewolves oft times can't control their shifts when put under great emotion, such as anger, fear, pain, or stress. Since you found her in the state you did, there's no way to tell what she could possibly have went through. Less so when she'll shift back, if at all, exposure to devastating levels of said emotions at such early stages of life can be catastrophic. While we're pups we're at our most vulnerable, as our wolves are already mature, and control much of our early natures. Until we are old enough to understand how to rein in their instincts and urges. If our wolves feel the level of emotion it takes to force a takeover, I fear something terrible happened to this pup." Mrs.Beckerman's words made the blood in my veins turn to ice.

"So...you mean she...might not be able to shift back at all?" Audrey asked slowly, disbelief plain in her voice. A nod, "Such a blank, animalish look in her eyes, I fear how deep she has gone within her wolf."

I felt sick. What could have happened to such a young pup?

"There's not we can do now but wait, and hope the wolf hasn't consumed her."

oOo

That had been two weeks ago, and the pup had shown no signs of changing. She ate, but only a few morsels before she would curl into a ball and refuse anymore. Audrey and I had been going through hell for her. Juggling school, pack duties, and spending as much of our time as we could spare with her. My wolf had grown fond of the pup, and felt a thorn prick her heart each day the pups condition remained unchanged. We left her with Orlando nightly and during the weekdays, and each day came home deflated to find her blank, wolf eyes awaiting us.

Audrey and I grew ragged as days began to blur into weeks. Orlando said her cuts had healed, bruises faded, and the infection had been treated, but even he could not heal her mind.

An entire month had passed, and she was still a wolf pup.

The pup made no sounds, not even whimpers or the tiny growls she had given me the day I'd found her under the rose bush. She was simply, silent.

But this changed in the dead of a Sunday midnight.

I don't know why, but something had jolted me awake. Glancing towards Audrey's alarm clock, I groaned at the 12:03 that grinned back at me. Audrey grumbled, turning over in her sleep, her breath now hot against the hollow of my throat. I heaved a sigh, settling back into the covers. Only for the noise that had awoken me in the first place to ring out again. A high, pained whine.

The pup.

Was my immediate thought, flying upwards. My mate gave a hiss, blue eyes flashing in the faint moonlight as they snapped open. Blurry and furious. "Sasha, what the hell-" The whine came again, louder this time, a cry for help.

Now at my heels Audrey and I exploded out the door and raced down the hall, barreling into the nursery. Mrs.Beckerman held the struggling pup in her arms, frantically trying to calm it, but failing miserably. Its blonde fur shimmered in the moonlight as it twisted and wriggled in her arms. Her eyes were screwed shut as she fought invisible monsters in her dreams. The nursery's other inhabitants, three other orphan pups, had woken and were watching Mrs.Beckerman with wide eyes. Two were human, the other a small grayish pup. The caretakers icy eyes found mine, panic swirling in them. "She just started whining and thrashing, I can't wake her!" Audrey extended her arms, silently asking for the pup. But once in her arms the pup went ballistic, biting and thrashing and howling like a mad man. Trying to get out of my mates arms with a vengeance. The nursery door was once again thrown open, several other RavenPeak wolves bursting into the nursery, looking around wildly for an attacker. But the five that showed up froze when they saw the pup writhing in Audreys grasp.

"Let me try," I said, scooping up the pup, laying her head against my shoulder as I bounced her up and down and gently as I could. "Hush little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird, and if that mockingbird won't sing. Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring," I sang, the lullaby coming to me out of the blue. As if by magic, the pup stopped struggling. In the darkness she nudged my shoulder with her nose, taking a deep breath. Slowly, her eyes opened. She blinked twice, her eyes travelling over all the wolves in the room. Before they slowly lifted to look at me. Bright and green and intellectual. Human eyes.

"Are you here now, little one?"

She cocked her head and let out a small whine. So high and soft it almost sounded like a, yes.

Mrs.Beckerman chittered in amazement, the five wolves who had 'come to the rescue' I now realized were Robyn, Levi, Brittany, and two men I recognized as Jay's younger brothers, Heathcliff and Edmure, stared at the scene before them incredulously. All of the pack knew about the pup we had found, and most knew about her condition. Something nobody thought she'd come back from, especially after the changeless month she'd spent at the pack-house. This was something like a miracle.

And that was why, now, at 12:27 at night I sat in the bathroom doorway as Audrey gently coaxed the pup to shift. Clothes she'd borrowed from Mrs.Beckerman in hand. But whenever my mate touched the pup she shed away and bolted to me. I still found this odd and was a little unsettled by it. Audrey gave me a sad smile, "Maybe you can do it, just be gentle, coax her, whatever Mrs.Beck told us to do," I looked down at the pup and ran a hand along her spine, the other scratching behind her ear. "I know this is difficult little one, and I know it will hurt, but you must become human. Please. Can you do that for me?" The pup nipped my hand, seemingly not hearing me. Or rather ignoring me.

"Please," I tried again, picking up the pup and holding her eye level. Those luminous emerald green eyes staring back at glowing amber. "Can you do that for me?" I asked again, putting the slightest of force behind my words. As if a flip had been switched the pups ears flattened to her head, tail tucking firmly between her legs. Her eyes grew panicked and a low whimper rose from her throat. Shit fuck no please don't do that.

"I need you to shift, please," I said, my voice soft.

This, at least, the pup understood.

Her eyes screwed shut as her body began to shiver. I sat her down on the cool tile, nervous. Her blonde fur receded, muzzle scrunching and disappearing into a flat human face. Paws extended into hands, her chipped nails gripping the tile as the last of her wolf fell away. Once human, Audrey bundled the pup into the pajamas Mrs.Beckerman had given us. The gray shirt and plaid pants were baggy and quite large on the tiny frame of the small girl before me. She had the look of an alley cat that had been in one too many fights. Scars, faint, discolored her otherwise snowy pale face. Long, tangled, matted tawny gold hair fell to the middle of her back and all around her face. One of her front teeth were chipped, yet her eyes were the same, startling green.

"W-where am I?" Her voice was a croak. Hoarse from misuse.

Audrey and I shared a troubled look.

"You're in the RavenPeak pack house, we brought you here after we found you in the woods," I paused, allowing my words to sink in. "What's your name?" The girl, looking around the age of eight, looked up at us, terrified.

"I don't know."