Chapter 19.

Sasha's P.O.V

《The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.》

My spine tingled uncomfortably. It's too quiet. I slowed my pace to a halt and lifted my muzzle to the wind. The stomach turning stench of vampires attacked my sensitive nose. I snarled softly and lowered my head, walking slowly deeper into the forest. Every single tree, blade of grass, hell even the sky itself, seemed to reek of vampire.

I shook my head roughly, and focused all of my attention on the faint, but sweet scent of my pup. Those bastards are going to pay for what they did. I vowed furiously, before raising my head, inhaling deeply. I took a sharp left and quickened my pace until it felt like I was flying through the forest. The wind whipping through my fur.

Time seemed to slow down as a flash of silver and black caught my eye, before I was savagely thrown off my feet and into a nearby tree. A grunt of pain escaped my curled lips as I collided with the solid bark. Shaking my head I glanced upwards and snarled at the blonde haired vampire. His bright golden eyes flashed with shame and he looked towards the ground. "It's okay. I'm not here to hurt you, now do you want your pup back or not?" He demanded quietly as he glanced over his shoulder quickly.

My head snapped upwards and my ears shot forward. What? He sighed and threw his black and silver coat towards me. I looked at it warily, then glanced back towards him. What game is he playing? "If you don't shift. Put that on. Then follow me. Your pup will be dead by sunrise. Now hurry up," He ordered as he quickly exited the thicket.

I raised myself from the grass and allowed my gaze to travel around the green cautiously. With a small sigh I shifted back to my human form and put on the coat. Luckily it was around floor length with what looked like military badges on the shoulders. I slowly stepped towards where the golden eyed man had exited. He sighed in relief when he saw me, then gave me a curt nod, before he began walking deeper into the green of the forest.

A small breeze carried the revolting scent of vampire, I nearly gagged but merely scrunched up my nose and kept a steady pace. "I'm sorry this is on short notice. My name is Ryker, I'm sure you're wondering why I'm even helping you. And I'm afraid that isn't something I'm willing to tell you, so you'll just have to trust that I'm a friend, and I will help you get your pup back." He said as he pushed his way through the dense greenery.

I stared at him with a mixture of shock and caution. "Why the hell should I believe you? I learned long ago vampires are nothing but cold blooded killers," I growled under my breath. His broad shoulders sagged and he glanced back towards me. "Sometimes what you are isn't who you are,' He murmured before turning his gaze forward and continuing on his way.

I stopped, the sound of pain in his gentle voice made my throat clench. "Hey wait up!" I called softly as I jogged after him. He slowed his pace slightly and turned his head towards me. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have judged you. I just have a bad history with vampires, and you didn't give me much character to base you off of, you know." I said matter-of-factly.

He flashed me a sad smile, displaying his sharp fangs. His head suddenly snapped forward. "Get down!" He hissed softly as he dropped into a crouch. I quickly copied his movements and felt the breath in my throat hitch as faint voices and footsteps reached my ears. Ryker moved one of his hands over his mouth, and glanced at me in horror. Before I could protest or even growl at him he enveloped me in his strong, lean arms. "I have to cover your scent," He whispered softly in my ears as the sounds of voices grew louder and louder until they were practically on top of us.

"Are you sure Viktor? All I smell is vampire, and all you can hear is the bloody wind. You sure you haven't lost your marbles with your old age?" A deep, hardy voice teased. I felt my throat constrict and tears well in my eyes. They're too close, they'll find us. We're dead, we're dead. " I may be nearly four-hundred years older than you, but I can still kick your arse all the way back to the 1600's," Another voice snapped back, high, and sharp as a whip. I was already shaking in fear as the sounds of their voices slowly faded away, deeper into the forest.