Chapter 21.

Sasha's P.O.V

The worst kind of pain is when you're smiling. Just to stop the tears from falling.

The wind tugged at my hoodie as I pushed my way through groups of wolves. Their grim faces made my heart clench. They knew how this could end. But they were willing to fight for me. Me, someone they barely knew. Yet they didn't even know this fight was all my fault. The air practically vibrated with tension, the gloomy clouds hanging heavily in the sky seemed to be a reminder of the darkness this day held.

I saw a flash of familiar red-streaked hair and the flowery scent of my mate edged on the wind. I hurried towards her, only to stop when I saw she had her back to me, talking in hushed voices with Levi. The dirty blonde haired girl was nodded feverishly, her hazel eyes solemn. After several minutes, her hazel eyes flickered towards me momentarily, she returned her gaze to Audrey, muttering something too soft for me to hear. Audrey nodded then waved her hand in a dismissive motion.

I waited until Levi disappeared from sight until I spoke. "Is there anything I can do to make you stay?" I asked softly, watching my mates body tense. She slowly turned around, her sky blue eyes flashing with a raw sadness. She shook her head and caressed my cheek gently. "I will fight for our Pack, just as you will. Nothing you can say or do will change my mind." She whispered, stepping forward and wrapping her arms around my waist, nuzzling into my shoulder, a bittersweet smile on her lips.

"You know, my father used to tell my sister and I something when we were pups," I whispered, clutching her tightly to my chest, inhaling as much of her scent as I could. Possibly the last time I would ever be able to do so. I slowly let go of her, but kept my arms locked protectively around her lower back. Her sky blue eyes watched me sadly, "And what was that saying?"

Feeling a nostalgic smile spread across my lips, "Be strong enough to stand alone. Be yourself enough to stand apart. But be wise enough to stand together when the time comes," I broke off in a small chuckle, shaking my head. "I never knew what he was talking about, not until now." I murmured, stroking her back gently. Audrey's eyes shone with unshed tears, but she refused to let them fall. I raised my hand and stroked her cheek gently, staring deeply into her eyes, unable to form words to tell her how much I love her, how much I want to protect her,and how much I will fight to keep our Pack safe.

She raised her hand and clutched mine tightly, her lips parted to form words, but nothing came. I leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead. I lingered momentarily. Savoring the feeling of her soft skin against my lips. I hated this, It felt like we were saying goodbye. I mentally scolded myself, this was not goodbye. It would never goodbye.

But just before I let go, my shoulder gave a sharp twinge.

Pulling away, my eyes flickering down to stare into hers, they looked utterly exhausted, but deep in their azure pools, I could see a glimmer of defiance. A small smile formed on her lips as she caressed my cheek. "Goodbyes aren't forever, goodbyes aren't the end," she said, hushed, "They simply mean I'll miss you, until we meet again." She detached herself from me, walking in the direction of Alpha Jay, where he stood in the midst of chaos, calling out orders with a calm fierceness. Wolves from a Northward Pack had come as well. Jay had managed to convince their Alpha to aid us. A blessing if there ever was one.

I let out a shaky breath and ran a hand through my hair. Both wolves shifted and unshifted hurried past me, I felt like I wasn't here, that I was someone else, watching this happen from far away. It all felt so unreal. A battle was about to happen, and it was all because of me. Yet nobody knew it but me. I shook my head and quickly jogged towards Beta Jasper, who was barking orders at Sentinels and Hunters as they ran past. Feeling slightly uncomfortable, I tapped Jasper on the shoulder. The towering man, turned swiftly on his heels, a look of relief passing over his face when he saw it was me.