Chapter 26.

Sasha's P.O.V

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.》

As those words passed his cold lips so to did his final breath, his life slipping away in a single whisper. Seth and I backed away from the body, bewildered and stunned. The snow had ceased by now, leaving only sparse patches scattered across the blood splattered field. But even without the snow it felt like the cold had settled in my heart, chilling my bones to the core. I didn't know what to feel. Joyous? Hundreds had just died because of me. Sad? I'd just killed the very bane of my childhood. No, I should feel just as I do now. Cold and empty.

But despite all of this. We were victorious.

I threw back my head and let out a long, mournful howl. Mourning my fallen brothers and sisters. Mourning my Alpha. Mourning all those who had given their lives so that we might live ours in peace. Others soon joined my howl, the higher pitched howls of females, the deep, vibrating howls of the males, and the loudest of them all, Seth's. Dropping my muzzle, I turned towards Seth, who had cast his gaze back to where Brittany's body still lay. Untouched and peaceful in her passing. We've won, but at what cost? My sister died, with a pup in her belly. And my mate- wait. Audrey!

Just as the thought exploded in my head so to did the pain in my chest. I nearly crumpled to the ground, just barely managing to keep myself upright as agony sliced through my heart like a dagger. It felt like something was digging into my chest and tearing out my beating heart. I clawed frantically at my heart as I toppled to the ground, only to feel smooth fur. Another bolt of agony passed through me, causing my entire body to shudder. Seth had rushed to my side, his wide eyes colored with concern and fear. Slipping his massive head under my shoulder, he hoisted me up. Forcing my body to move through the blinding, mind-numbing pain. I stumbled a couple of steps before compelling my body to steady. Audrey.. I wailed softly, loping along as fast as my unsteady gait would allow as I tried frantically to locate my mate.

I searched for what felt like hours, but I lurched to a halt when I saw her. She lay on her side well away from the others, a small pool of blood encircling her throat and haunch.

With a howl of despair, I rushed to her side, running my muzzle along the ridge of her brow. Weakly, she lifted her muzzle, brushing it against mine, before even this became too great a task, and her head fell back against the ground.

Her breathing was heavy and had a rusty wheeze, the slice to her neck taking its toll. Panicking, Help! Help! I yowled, hoping, praying I could save her in time. But I knew, damn everything to hell, I knew deep down, she wasn't going to make it. The wound to her throat was too deep, her blood-loss to extensive. She'd be lucky to survive another five minutes. Shoving those horrid thoughts away, I curled against her small blonde form, lapping the dried blood from her neck. Taking great care not to cringe away from the razor sharp metallic flavor. The purr she forced out dug into my heart like thorns, coiling and constricting. Tears spilt over, dripping onto her fur as a whine hissed through my bared teeth. Goddess it hurts, it hurts so much...

It felt like lifetimes had passed as I lay next to her, wishing with all of my heart I could trade places with her. But as we lay there, her quivering body against mine, I knew how scared she was. Of death, of the pain, of leaving me alone in this world. But I didn't want her to be scared. I wanted to remind her of all the wonderful times in my life. How womderful she made my life. So, I began to murmur to her softly, about all the wonderful days we spent together. Our first meeting, our first date, our first kiss, every moment of everyday until now. All of these moments were precious to me. And I'd never forget a single one. My voice was calm and soft, the polar opposite of the agony and grief that thrashed around in my heart. Those stories seemed to put her at just a little at ease, her trembling subsided, and her eyes had fluttered shut. As if she was sleeping. But after a time, her breathing became steadily shallower, and her heartbeats became weaker.