Chapter 18.

Sasha's P.O.V

Unless we make our shadows conscious, they will continue to be projected out onto the world. War is nothing more than two sides, each projecting their shadow onto the other.

Audrey glanced at me from the corner of her eye. She had obviously heard the shakiness of my voice, and felt my hold on her hand tighten, but she said nothing of it. Chris finally stopped in front of large, double wooden doors. He dipped his head respectively to us and murmured a quick farewell before disappearing back down the hall we had just come from. I glanced at Brittany in confusion.

She shrugged and pushed the door inward. The room was lit by a large chandelier, which hung above a large, slightly oval shaped oak-wood table. All of the leather chairs, save for several slightly to our right were occupied by grim faced men and women. Their eyes all bore looks of worry and fear. Whispers echoed in the room, all of them soft but serious. Jay immediately noticed our presence and motioned for us to sit down. I turned to my mate and shrugged, before taking a chair. Audrey slowly followed and sat beside me, her posture was stiff, but composed.

Something about the air in the room filled me with unease.  Something's very, very wrong, her wolf whined.

I completely agreed with her for once. The tension in the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Brittany settled in the chair beside me, flipping her long black hair over her shoulder. Seth's golden eyes flashed in frustration but he reluctantly took the seat next to Brittany. She glanced at him for a split second, her bright green eyes flashing with shame, but she quickly blinked it away and looked back towards Alpha Jay.

Jay interlocked his fingers and settled his elbows on the smooth wood table. He laid his chin on-top of his fingers, his bright golden eyes shining with distress and unease. "Father, what is the meaning of this meeting?" Seth demanded. Jay sighed and glanced at Jasper, and gave him a curt nod. Jasper sighed and stood from his seat. "As some of you may have heard, a large group of vampires have been scented at our borders," He started, his voice shaking slightly. He cleared his throat and began again, his voice strong and smooth this time.

"We have determined these are not just a group of rogues. We have yet to determine their numbers, but reports show it's many more than a rouge band. We have not concluded who they are yet, but we have sent out our top sentinels, they should be reporting back soon. This group has so far done nothing to provoke us, but they have come extremely close to our borders, and with their large numbers, there is more than enough evidence to assume they are not just a group of passing rogues," He continued uneasily.

I glanced at my mate in shock, my protective hold on her hand automatically tightening. She looked at me and gave me a comforting smile. My wolf growled possessively, Nobody. I mean nobody. Will hurt our mate. She snarled, visions of twelve years ago flickered behind my eyes. I shook my head quickly, willing my thoughts to dissipate. I took a deep breath, getting a lungful of my mates calming scent, before I turned my attention back towards Jasper. He closed his eyes, and sighed before he continued in a grim voice.

"We are unsure if they are hostile, but we will be keeping a close eye on them. But this is a very strict warning, from now on until we are sure of the groups intentions, I want no less then six wolves per patrol, am I understood?" He asked sternly, his gaze flicking towards some of the younger wolves at the table. They all nodded solemnly. I noticed movement at the edge of my vision and turned towards it, just in time to see Seth rise fully to his feet and stare defiantly at Jasper. "And if they turn out to be hostile?" He asked.

Jasper opened his mouth to reply but Jay raised his hand and motioned for them both to sit. "I understand that you want to protect your pack Seth. Believe me I do to, but unless there is no threat we will not attack them. Understood?" He asked sternly. Seth's shoulders stiffened. "Father, what if they are hostile?" He demanded. Jay fixed him with a stern glare, "Then we will be ready, but until such is confirmed, you will do as I say, am I clear?"