Ch.6 Hi baby

April 19, 2019
Sage *5 days later*
   I'm in my kitchen making some ramen noodles when my phone rings. I look at the caller ID to see it's my older sister Monica. It's been so long since I've talked to her. I quickly answer the phone knowing Monica this is a once in a lifetime call.

    She says, " Hey sis it's been awhile." I really hope she isn't calling for money because I don't have any. "Yeah it has, how's Brianna doing." Brianna is my 1 year old niece I haven't seen her since she was born. After my parents died in a car crash 3 weeks after Briannas birth Monica cut everyone off. This is the first time I've talked to her since then.

    She chuckles before saying "She's been a handful I would love for you to meet her." I am so surprised and a little upset she wants me to meet her now.

   I quickly reply, "Do you still live in California? If so I wanna see you guys as soon as possible." Hopefully I can see her soon. Monica has had trouble with drugs in the past and I wanna make sure she's treating Brianna well. She replies back, "Were moving back to LA soon." I'm shocked by that why would she move back now.

I say "Oh my god that's amazing if you guys need any help let me know." I'm happy to finally be in contact with my sister even if it's nearly two years later.

She replies, "That's great I was actually wondering if you could watch Brianna for me?" I'm silent for a moment because knowing Monica she may leave Brianna with me for a while. Not that I'm against watching my niece I just want to know what she'll be doing while I take care of her daughter.

      "How long will she be staying" I ask. She replies quickly saying she's not sure a month at least. I'm thinking about it when she interrupts my thoughts by saying, "I know it's been a while since we've talked after the whole situation but honestly your the only one I would trust with my baby while I had to be gone."

     I ask her " Where will you be going for a month without your daughter?" I try not to sound judge mental but who would leave their daughter for a month with someone they hadn't talked to in over a year regardless of them being family.

   "I can't really talk about it right now but if your not busy me and Brianna can come over in like an hour to talk to you more" she replies.

     I tell that's fine and we end the phone call. I already know I'll take care of brianna no matter what even if her mother is leaving for a long time. I may have some problems with Monica but Brianna is my niece and I will never that against her.

     I finish making my bowl of noodles over the stove and go watch criminal minds. I'm watching Garcia and Morgan flirt when I get a text from an unknown number.

Unknown: Hey how you been?
Me: Um good.. Who Is this?
Unknown: Lucia lol probably should've said my name first.
Me: lol yeah how you been?
Lucia: good I was wondering if you wanted to hang out soon?
Me: Sure I'm kinda busy right now but we can hang out later
Lucia: okay cool what you doing?
Me: Just watching criminal minds how about you?
Lucia: Nothing just texting you and waiting to get off work.

     Then I get a knock at my door it must be Monica I quickly text Lucia bye and go to open the door. Once I open the door I see my sister who looks the same as the last time I saw her. I let her in she's carrying a baby car seat with Brianna in it.

She sets the car seat down and gives me a bear hug. Once she lets go she says "Hey little sis it's been so long since I've seen you " I smile at her words me and Monica haven't been close recently but she is my big sister and I love her.

I tell her I've missed her too as a response. She smiles and goes to get Brianna out of her car seat. Once she does I finally see my niece she looks so much like her mother it's crazy.

She hands me Brianna and I start cooing at her she is so cute. Just looking at her makes me want a child of my own. She opens looks up at me with her big eyes and starts to giggle.

"So monica about what you said on the phone, I just wanna know why she can't go with you" She looks over at me and shrugs. Now I remember why me and Monica aren't very close she's very passive while I like to deal with things head on.

She breaks the silence by saying " I know it seems strange but where I'm going I can't take Brianna I promise I'll be back for her as soon as I can. It's just that I need to know she's safe and I know she'll be safe with you." She's right it does sound strange but I know if I push her to hard she'll leave my niece with one of her dumb ass friends who would only do it for money.

I look at Brianna and see her cute little smile. "Okay monica I understand. When will you be leaving?" She hums for a minute and that's when I know she didn't want to see me at all she's leaving me with her daughter right now.

After grabbing her purse off my coffee table she replies "Umm I was wondering if I could leave her with you right now I have everything she'll need in the moving truck"

I just say okay and put Brianna back in her car seat while Monica goes to the car to get her high chair, bag, toys, clothes, and a small crib. I guess I'll have to move all her stuff into my bedroom. After she gets all the stuff into my living room she gives me a final hug before giving Brianna a kiss on her forehead and leaving.

I spend the rest of the afternoon moving my bedroom around to fit her stuff into it. I go into the kitchen and put her in her high chair it's about 6 in the afternoon she must be hungry. I smile at her and go to make her some oatmeal since she's only one. I'm feeding her when I hear a knock at my door. I pick up Brianna and go answer the door.

   I open it and Lucia's there smiling at me. I completely forgot we were supposed to hang out today. She looks from me to the baby looking completely supprised.