↣ chapter forty

"Come on. That move is one in a million. Fighters and freighters can take out their cannons if there are enough of us," Finn says.

"There aren't enough of us," someone says.

"He's right. We'd be no more than bugs to them."

"That's where Lando and Chewie come in," Poe says. "They'll take the Falcon to the Core Systems. Send out a call for help for anybody listening."

"We've got friends out there. They'll come if they know there's hope." People begin muttering their doubts. "They will."

"The First Order wins by making us think we're alone," Poe says confidently. "We're not alone. Good people will fight if we lead them."

"Leia never gave up. And neither will we. We're gonna show them we're not afraid,"'I say. "What all of our mothers and fathers fought for, we will not let die. Not today. Today we make our last stand. For the Galaxy. For my mom. And for everyone we've lost."

Poe grabs my hand. I look over at him. "They've taken enough of us," he says. "Now we take the war to them."

~•~

"You better be careful out there. I can't lose you, Poe," I say as we stand by his X-Wing.

"I'll be so careful. You won't have to worry," he smiles.

"I will always worry about you."

"Well don't. I'll be okay. I'll be talking to you the whole time. I love you, alright?"

I nod. "I love you, Poe Dameron."

"I love you more, Amaya Dameron."

With that, he climbs up the ladder to his cockpit. I give him one last smile and wave and go back to command.

~•~

"Incoming TIEs," Snap warns his General.

"I see 'em. I gotcha Finn," my husband replies.

"Be careful you guys," I warn.

"There's my girl," I can almost hear the smile in Poe's voice.

"The navigation tower is being deactivated," Jessika says.

"What?" I ask nervously.

"They need that signal. It's gotta be coming from somewhere. They've figured out what we're doing," Snap says.

"Call off the ground invasion!" I order.

"Wait. The nav signal's coming from that command ship. That's our drop zone," Finn says.

"You want to launch a ground invasion on a Star Destroyer?" I ask.

"I don't want to, but we can't take out that ship's nav from all the way down here."

"Hive 'em cover. We gotta keep that fleet that fleet here until help arrives."

"You heard the General," Poe says. "All wings, cover that lander!"

I watch the screens praying that Poe and the rest of our fleet can hold off until Lando and Chewie get there.

"Hold on guys," I murmur.

"Those thrusters are hot. How we doin'?" I hear Poe ask.