↣ chapter thirty nine

"What the hell was she thinking?" Poe exclaims, frustrated. We walk down the other side of the hill back towards the buried Millennium Falcon.

"Poe. We gotta go after her," Finn says.

"We'll get the Falcon fixed and get out there as fast as we can," I say.

"No. If we wait we'll lose her," Finn says.

"Look, she left us. What do you wanna do, swim?" I snap.

"She's not herself. You have no idea what she's fighting," Finn defends.

I stop and turn to Finn. "And you do? I may not have experienced it, but I know what she's going through. I watched my brother fight it too."

"Yeah. I do. And so does Leia," Finn looks to my husband beside me.

"Well I'm not Leia," I say coldly.

"That's for damn sure," Finn turns away from us. I clench my jaw at his statement. I turn and continue towards my dad's old ship.

"Maya! Hey," Poe runs in front of me and stops me. I look up at him. "He doesn't know what he's talking about, okay?"

"He's right Poe. I'm nothing like my mom. She's an amazing woman and leader. I will never be like her," I say.

"You won't ever be like her. No one will be like her. Just like no one will ever be like you. You are perfect the way you are. You are an amazing woman and an even more amazing wife. I love you so so much," Poe places a hand on my face.

I lean into his touch and grab his hand in mine, holding it to my face. "What would do without you?"

"You'd probably die," Poe says. I look at him. "But luckily, I'm here so that's not gonna happen."

I look up at Poe with scared eyes. "It's my mom. And Ben."

"What about them?" He asks worried.

"Ben's here. He's here Poe." Tears fall slowly from my eyes.

"And the General?"

"I'm not sure yet." I decide against telling him. I can't break his heart. I only felt her connection weaken; I don't want to say anything and worry him.

"Let's fix up the ship and we'll go find your brother, okay?"

I nod. He takes my hand and we continue our journey to the ship. I continue to cry for my mom.

Ben is all I have left.

~•~

We fly back to Ajan Kloss. We land the ship and D'Acy comes towards us. "Commanders. Something's happened. Finn."

"This can't wait," Finn answers.

"We've gotta see the General," Poe says.

"She's gone," D'Acy says.

We all stop and turn to face the other Commander. My hands fly to my mouth. I fall to my knees and the tears appear again. I kneel on the dirt and sob. I don't care what I look like or how I sound.

The world disappears as the sobs wrack my body with such force. My chest heaves with every breath I inhale sharply. I cough as the tears fall freely.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I swat Finn's hand away. "Get away from me," I sob.

I feel a new hand. This is a familiar touch. I lean into the hand that rests on my shoulder. I feel his forehead on my shoulder blade. I feel sobs as they wrack his body.

I turn and wrap my arms around him. We hold each other, kneeling on the ground, sobbing into each other. I sob into his shoulder as he does into mine.