| 𝐋𝐔𝐏𝐔𝐒 | 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨

Meaning 'wolf' in Latin, Lupus used to be part of the Centaurus constellation. It represented an animal sacrificed by the centaur, which held it towards an altar (the constellation Ara).

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

🖤

The halls were pitch black, the clicking of Draco's shoes bounced off the walls. The whistling of crickets filled the night air as he finally stepped away from the main building. It wasn't long before the Astronomy Tower looked above him. His mouth set into a grim line.

Before... it... happened, the Tower had been his favourite place to think - away from the dull and irritating chattering of students, and out of view from eagle-eyed professors. Now, it seemed foreboding, an omen of bad things to come.

The doors were tall and heavy, but he flung them open with ease and climbed the stairs noiselessly. He breathed in the musty scent, and a memory briefly played in his mind.

It was in his second year when he had first snuck up the tower with Crabbe and Goyle, driven by the sheer thrill of the fact that it was forbidden. Crabbe had knocked over a telescope by accident with his fat arse, and Sinistra docked 30 points from Slytherin the next day.

He finally reached the top, but to his immense frustration, there was already somebody here. The figure was seated on the benches, looking out at the sky. Dark hair fell over her face and he could not make out who it was.

He groaned inwardly, irritated that he now had to walk back for nothing. Before he could leave, the girl turned. It was Angel.

"Malfoy...?" She sounded surprised. His mouth curled into a sneer. "Dawson. I was just leaving."

She got up, quickly swiping her cheeks with her sleeves of her jumper. "It's alright. I was about to go."

He stood where he was as she scooted past him down the stairs, pressing herself against the other side, as far away from him as possible. Her shadow trailed a soft scent of light florals as she disappeared into the darkness downstairs.

Glad that he was finally alone, he walked slowly to the railings. The sky was ablaze with stars, twinkling like sequins against the cloudless black night. The breeze carried the scent of the river and wet grass, and he inhaled deeply. 

It was then Draco realised he was terribly alone.

None of the death eaters were to help him, according to the Dark Lord's instructions. This was a task he had to do all by himself. And he had to do it. For his parents.

The cold metal burned into his palms and he shut his eyes tightly, trying to will it all away.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The next night, he stalked across the grass, hands stuffed deep into his pockets. It was particularly chilly, and the wind cut his cheeks as he made his way towards the Tower again.

The cabinet still did not work. He had been so angry he had taken it out on a first year earlier that day, dangling the poor boy by his belt hoops on a tree branch. Crabbe and Goyle laughed along as they taunted the boy from below. It was brief moments of respite like these that kept him from going utterly mad.

The past week had been spent battering his brains for a solution. He skipped lessons, and spent his weekends in the library desperately searching for answers while his friends traipsed down to Hogsmeade.

It was all well and good for now - the first years provided an outlet for his frustrations, but anxiety would prickle at him all day. The cabinet had to be fixed soon.

He climbed the stairs and almost groaned out loud in frustration. That blasted Angel girl was there yet again, in the very same spot. She turned at the noise and leapt to her feet, clearly not expecting him for the second time.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were coming again," she said hurriedly and tried to scamper past him.

"Stop." The word was out of his mouth before he could stop himself. 

She sighed. "Malfoy, please. Torment me all you want, but not tonight. I've-"

"No, I meant..." His voice was a little more unsure this time. "I meant you can stay."

There was a brief pause. "What?"

He still hadn't turned around, reluctant to see her expression. "I'll just... sit over here," he muttered, striding to the other side of the bench, facing away from the sky. He plonked down and brought his knees up to his chest.

He didn't know what compelled him to ask her to stay. It was like he had been possessed. Still refusing to turn, he heard her step back up after a few moments of hesitation and resume her spot.

In the darkness of the Astronomy Tower, lit only by the grey glow of moonlight, they sat in silence, backs towards each other, each lost in their own thoughts.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

🤍

Professor Sinistra had waxed lyrical about the Tower being off limits, but last night, Angel had taken a walk around the grounds to clear her mind and was glad to find that it was barely locked at all. It was quiet and beautiful here, and being this close to the stars like this felt like being close with her parents.

She smiled to herself as she gazed up at the sky. When she was ten, her dad had built a telescope for her. He pulled away the large sheet that covered it with great flourish, and she squealed with joy. Her very own telescope!

They had spent many nights sat on their own balcony. He would point out the constellations and she'd sketch them with her quill into a little notebook.

A wave of emotion washed over her and she let the tears fall again.

She closed her eyes, thinking of her parents. She tried to replay every memory she could remember, terrified that she would somehow forget.

However, her thoughts began drifting to Draco. He had been awfully silent for a while now, and she fought the temptation to turn around to see what he was doing.

This boy had ruthlessly attacked her every time he saw her; damn near killed her that one time during Quidditch tryouts; treated creatures with barely a drop of compassion; and commanded his band of buffoons to do his every bidding.

Yet, here he was behind her, alone and being very still. She knew he was still there - she could hear him shuffling about occasionally, and couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking and feeling right now.

Why had he been here yesterday and tonight again? Did he come here often by himself?

Dusk was beginning to arrive, slivers of orange fading into the dark navy blue of the sky. She got up and dusted her skirt before summoning her courage to turn and look at Draco.

He still had his back to her, an arm rested on his propped up knee, while the other leg stretched out lazily. She noted his hunched shoulders - he looked... tired, almost.

She suddenly felt a twinge of compassion, but hastily suppressed it. Should she tell him it was already morning?

She finally decided against it, hoping that the sound of her leaving would be notice enough, and made her way back down the stairs.