CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

October 29, 2020

It had been three days since Chase told me he loved me. We haven't spoken much since then, and I think it's because both of us are still too in shock.  After he confessed his feelings that I was never aware of, it made me realize Cami's words were indeed correct. He had been my best friend since we were little, and I never once noticed he felt that way about me. How could I have been so stupid to not know that sweet, innocent Chase had feelings for me? I was left feeling foolish after he quickly ran out of the room after letting those three words escape his mouth. And after that, I didn't get much sleep.

I ran into Logan a couple times, but every time I came across him, I'd dodge into the other direction before he ended up catching a glimpse of me. There was a time when he passed me in the hall, but we never said a word to each other. He didn't even give me a dirty look. It was just pure silence between the two of us. In class, he'd be silent and play on his phone. He barely seemed to hang out with anyone anymore. Every time I'd see him, he would either be sitting at a table alone, or he'd be talking to Chase or Micheal. But never with any girls as far as I knew and witnessed.

I sat at the table with Quinn and Zoey, who looked a little bummed about something.

"What's wrong Zoey?" Quinn asked her.

Zoey took a sip of her drink and sighed.

"Chase doesn't wanna be with me anymore."

Quinn gasped. "What! But he's Chase, your best friend from here. The guy that's been closer to you than anyone else."

Zoey rolled her eyes. "I thought that until he said he wasn't ready to date."

"He didn't say why?" I asked curiously.

"Just that he feels like he's being pulled into another direction. Whatever that means." Zoey sighed.

"Well I say if you really care about him, just let him live his life and you focus on your life and if you guys at least stay friends that's great." Quinn suggested.

Disappointment peered through Quinn's eyes at the news that Zoey and Chase didn't end up together. After all, I was pretty disappointed at that and in myself. I knew I had to face Chase eventually. But how and when?

November 1st, 2020

"Alright class, I have a new assignment for you all. New month, therefore new assignments. You will have two weeks to come up with a 500 page essay according to a topic in this list shown here. Two weeks means it is due November 15th. No later than that. Any assignments that I receive after class that day will be a zero." Mr. Wallows stated as he pointed to the board where a slide of topics was shown below. "The essay must contain a seven page slide show with pictures and notes on your topic you have chosen."

Two weeks? That's two days after the concert.

Logan raised his hand.

"Yes Mr. Reese?"

"Can't it just be four pages?" Logan whined.

"No Logan, it cannot." Mr. Wallows said with a straight face.

"Damn." Logan sighed.

That was the first time he had actually spoken in class for a while. This was my only class with him this semester and I was totally freaking out that maybe he had gotten over me. After all, I still wanted him even though I was hurt. I pondered for days if he was going to apologize to my face or not, but it looked like he wasn't having it.

"You will be partnered up in groups of four." Mr. Wallows added.

"Can we pick our own partners?" Chase blurted out.